All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Feedback Center  Hop To Forums  Talk with DIY Network's Community Gal, Katy D    Environmental issues
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Environmental issues Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I am quite disgusted with some of the things I see on this and other DIY shows. Tonight I watched the Vanilla Ice host almost bury his tractor in the mud on the shore of the lake he was working on. How much fuel and oil did he leak into the water? Then build a deck over the water and stain it with a sprayer, with no regard to all the overspray into the water. Do you folks have no regard for the environment at all? I can't even believe the state of Florida and you folks let this happen. I'm sure he and whoever is reading this is aghast when an oil spill occurs but can't even comprehend what environmental hazards you inflict when filming your shows. I find it ridiculous to air one show where they recycle and reuse and talk about environmental sensitivities then the next show displays the blatant disregard for that same environment. Did this host even think about the damage he may be doing to the lakeshore? I bet not! Money is what they're thinking of because that's all they talk about.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        nobody from the network or production companies generally look at the boards.

as a general principle, there are not a bunch of gross leaks on small lifters, diggers, etc. because they don't hold much fluid, and leaks out also mean contamination in, which wrecks the service life.

it is sad to note that most folks are NOT using penetrating oil stains any more, but what amounts to latex paint labelled as stain. there is very little impact from a latex product, outside of any potential heavy metal trace included to resist mold and mildew. however, they don't last as long, or penetrate to ruggedize the wood against water and bug damage, so you do it over and over. the long-term abuse is probably higher with the latex "stains" than with penetrating oil.

but yeah, you should throw your "outside" tarp underneath when spraying a deck. the wife and I generally get 4-5 years out of a tarp, from dragging leaves to (and from) the compost pile, to catching paint, to piling dirt when digging so it doesn't choke the grass.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5487 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        It's good to know that there lots of people out there that are very concern in our environment.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: carlo09,

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post