All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Feedback Center  Hop To Forums  Talk with DIY Network's Community Gal, Katy D    How to find products used on shows
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

How to find products used on shows Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I try and find products used on the show I Hate my Yard and keep getting error messages. I want to know where to purchase the panels used in an outside water feature but to no avail. Frustrating to say the least.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 31, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        If you have taped the episodes then you can go to the credits at the end. Look for 'special thanks" those are the manufacturers who have donated products to the episode.

Jaybee

Posts: 10471 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        and if you can't find the brand and model of panel, then after a few viewings you should be able to puzzle out what they are (plastic, metal, unobtainium alloy) and fake something else in there that the local yard has in stock. may have to tickle the water source some, but lots of things will work, and some will even last more than a season.

or you could call the subcontractor (watch the front of the show again) and ask what they used.

these shows are mostly idea generators IMPHO. run with the idea if you like it. you don't have to use Brand X plastic if that's only a midwest thing, and Brand Y is equivalent where you live.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5849 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I try to find bath products that I see on I Hate My Bath, but they've changed it so now you get directed to some idiotic blog, but no products. That's why I watch that show, we're redoing our bath, but what's the point if I can't find the products? And yes, sometimes they list the thank yous, but you don't know which company supplied which product, and the last one I watched didn't even list the thank yous, so total waste of time.

Posts: 28 | Location: Upper Peninsula of Michigan | Registered: May 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        many of the items supplied for these projects are "pay for play," and quite a few are custom items.

take a picture of the screen on the next showing, take it to a full-line plumbing showroom, and say, "ya got one of these in the catalog?" the really special stuff always has a camera lingering on the package logo for 8 or 10 seconds, so you can catch the manufacturer if you're quick.

you won't find much of the product list at a generic home center. the show is a showcase. you will have to take your gotta-have list to a specialty shop dealing in that material. ya yoopers won't find half of it at Menards, even if the special-order desk guy worked the field for 20 years.

good hunting, it's time!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5849 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Why you prefer used materials from a shows? In fact there are many salvage collectors and pickers that buy and sell used and junk materials. You can try those, or you can visit link for Caldwells.com, they sell used furniture and door products.

Posts: 8 | Location: USA | Registered: Jan 04, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post