DIY Message Boards
How to find products used on shows

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/960107171/m/9033986277

Jul 31, 2013, 02:10 PM
cavalryduke
How to find products used on shows
I try and find products used on the show I Hate my Yard and keep getting error messages. I want to know where to purchase the panels used in an outside water feature but to no avail. Frustrating to say the least.
Jul 31, 2013, 05:05 PM
Jaybee
If you have taped the episodes then you can go to the credits at the end. Look for 'special thanks" those are the manufacturers who have donated products to the episode.

Jaybee
Aug 05, 2013, 01:26 PM
swschrad
and if you can't find the brand and model of panel, then after a few viewings you should be able to puzzle out what they are (plastic, metal, unobtainium alloy) and fake something else in there that the local yard has in stock. may have to tickle the water source some, but lots of things will work, and some will even last more than a season.

or you could call the subcontractor (watch the front of the show again) and ask what they used.

these shows are mostly idea generators IMPHO. run with the idea if you like it. you don't have to use Brand X plastic if that's only a midwest thing, and Brand Y is equivalent where you live.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?
Sep 21, 2013, 08:24 PM
trentroy
I try to find bath products that I see on I Hate My Bath, but they've changed it so now you get directed to some idiotic blog, but no products. That's why I watch that show, we're redoing our bath, but what's the point if I can't find the products? And yes, sometimes they list the thank yous, but you don't know which company supplied which product, and the last one I watched didn't even list the thank yous, so total waste of time.
Sep 26, 2013, 11:15 AM
swschrad
many of the items supplied for these projects are "pay for play," and quite a few are custom items.

take a picture of the screen on the next showing, take it to a full-line plumbing showroom, and say, "ya got one of these in the catalog?" the really special stuff always has a camera lingering on the package logo for 8 or 10 seconds, so you can catch the manufacturer if you're quick.

you won't find much of the product list at a generic home center. the show is a showcase. you will have to take your gotta-have list to a specialty shop dealing in that material. ya yoopers won't find half of it at Menards, even if the special-order desk guy worked the field for 20 years.

good hunting, it's time!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?