Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools
        Hi from Katy D Sign In/Join 
        Picture of Katy D
        posted
        Hey this is Katy D, your DIY Community Gal and all around DIY Go-To Girl. I am here to share with you what’s new and upcoming with DIY programming and DIYNetwork.com. I also want to hear from you; thoughts, comments and questions.

Katy D
        DIY Community Gal

Posts: 336 | Location: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Aug 10, 2009Report This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Hi, Katy D. My name is Alisa and I live in OKC, a quiet community and well kept secret that our Mayor wants to share with the whole world. LOL It has something to do with revitalizing a city, attracting business, etc.LOL It is a nice place to live and I have traveled a lot in the US as well as lived in some major cities, but the casual living can't be beat plus our economy is thriving, mostly unaffected by the economic crisis. I like it here, so much so my last house I have named my 20 year project...not something my neighbors really appreciate.

I bought a house built in 1969, an old ranch house that used to sit in the middle of a 9 hole golf course called "Golf Acres." When I landscape...or attempt to add plants here and there, I literally dig up old golf balls...or when we get what I call a gully washer, it sometimes uncovers one or two.LOL The original owner shut down the 9 hole golf course and sold the land around it here in prime suburbia, so all the houses in my addition have been built in the last 10-15 years with other additions much newer and very nice. So, I bought the house after it had been neglected by one owner then another and even rented out. I am, according to some of my neighbors who are kind, the only one who has ever put any money into the house...but the HOA thinks I should sink (I am embellishing here...I don't know how much they think I should spend) upwards to the tune of $100,000 yesterday so the house fits in with others in the area...Nevermind I am the only who has ever attempted to improve the property and bring it into the 21st Century.

I used to own rentals and would fix them up into places I would want to live and have done the same with homes I have purchased to live in myself. I enjoy the transformation but I am frugal and thoughtful as I have learned over the years my best thoughts about what should go here or there have come from careful deliberation and HGTV!!!!! I absolutely love DIY network and think Amy rocks..especially on Blog Cabin when the guys were out of breath and she is just keeps pacing herself...my hero. I am a die hard watcher using my UVerse to record and watch every show that might give me an idea on how to fix this place into exactly what I want it to be when I retire or figure out the perfect job from home but those don't exist out here like they do evidently on the East and West Coast...so I found the perfect house with the right potential to fulfill my passion for renovating, just not fast enough for my neighbors. I literally had one neighbor turn me into our City numerous times, who came out repeatedly to post notice, talk to me, tell me everything was ok and I had to live with the disgruntled neighbor.

I am writing because I would like DIY to come to the Heartland, not because I really believe I should give a hoot about those who complain or ask me why I don't take out a loan for this or that...I am a cash girl...I don't owe a lot so I sleep rather well at night knowing I can take care of me and mine. The neighbors I love are the ones who give me great ideas and tell me how glad they are I bought the house and am working on it. But, I am also writing because I hired a man with a tractor to help me just recently when I embarked on a driveway on the front side of my house attempting to hand dig it. My son and I moved about 3 tons of dirt before I made the call...my son literally hugged the tractor man.LOL My father was in construction and my son's father was a rancher so a little hard work is in my opinion good for the soul...he evidently thought technology should be utilized and caters to the tractor man when he shows up to do more work...remember...cash only girl. The thought of my 16 year old hugging a complete stranger gave me a moment of pause that maybe I should not be so stubborn and proud as a DIYer to see what might happen for him as well as the neighbors who appreciate my hard work...not so much the others.LOL

My funds are limited as I recently had a spell of bad luck with my health. I will mend but cash is too tight to finish what I started in a timely manner and I will spend a great deal of time "catching up" on my bills...not that I have a lot...a fact I am quite proud of in this economy and generation that believes you need to borrow, borrow, borrow. I am a child of the 60's and my parents grew up in the Depression; I suppose that rubbed off on me. Anyway, do you ever make it this way and if so, what is the quid pro quo? This house is awesome and has the greatest potential but my main concern is the exterior and namely the front. I have landscaped the back...I have two entries since it is the original house. I was thinking maybe I should just give up and humor the disgruntled ones by appealing to you directly since I think some are plotting to write you on my behalf, specifically Desperate Landscapes...a show I watch almost religiously but always become annoyed when Jason goes to hear what the neighbors have to say. I don't really care since they don't pay my mortgage but gosh they are wearing on me. The bottom line, they are disturbing my idea of a peaceful existence. So, I guess I will concede on the outside since they can see it and then take my time working at my own pace on the inside.

Any chance Desperate Landscapes is coming this way? I made a short video, hopefully before one them sends in one so I can tell my story since they don't live here.LOL I really have a much better sense of humor about it than they do and from a distance, it is not so bad. I live in a circle drive and don't really know why they have to come to the front of my house if it annoys them so bad...LOL And, God forbid if I should be outside when they are walking...on patrol...OMG! I really don't write to you for them as much as the awesome neighbors I have next door to me on the back and the front who are very supportive and know how hard I work on the house as well as how much better it looks since I moved in...granted..it is a work in progress...a 20 year project.LOL

Well, that is my introduction and reply to what I want to see. I have a thousand ideas for the front yard from Rock Solid, Yard Crashers, and my favorite: Desperate Landscapes...all but the comments portion of the show. I am ready to go big so I can go outside in peace. Smile

Regards from more patient than my neighbors in OKC, Alisa

Posts: 1 | Location: OKC | Registered: Sep 21, 2009Report This Post
        Picture of DMagnolia
        posted Hide Post
        Hey Katy,

I emailed DIY a question "How do I get my own auto restoration show on DIY?"

They sent a link to you. You are the "Go To Girl".

Any help or direction would be appreciated.

Thanks
        Dan

Picture of Katy D
        posted Hide Post
        You would first need to coordinate with a production company. Then they would request submissions guidelines from us and it would go from there.

Katy D
        DIY Community Gal

Picture of DMagnolia
        posted Hide Post
        Ok, I need to request the submission guidelines.

Who do I contact for those guidelines?

Thanks
        Again
        Dan

Picture of Katy D
        posted Hide Post
        If you are or with a national or major market production company wishing to submit a program proposal, you must follow DIY's submission procedures. To receive a copy of our submission guidelines, please send information about the production company and a request for our guidelines to New Show Idea, DIY--Do It Yourself Network, P.O. Box 50970, Knoxville, TN 37950.

Katy D
        DIY Community Gal

posted Hide Post
        I wanted to suggest a show on paper models. This is a hobby nobody knows about. When I was a kid in the 50's, paper models were common...many were on the back of cereal boxes. As the decade ended, cheap oil meant that plastic replaced paper for models here in the US. Overseas, however, the high cost of oil kept paper modeling alive and they became very advanced. To see what's out there, check out my website, www.thepapermodelguy.com. In the 'Paper Model Links' section, be sure to look at the Canon, Yamaha, and Disney links. These are all free-to-download models that you print out on your computer printer in color. Models range from simple ones for young children to advanced ones that would challenge a Zen master. Being free, these are a great way to enjoy a craft with little expense in these tough economic times. All that's needed is some lightweight cardstock (67 lb paper) from an office supply store, a good small scissor, an exacto knife, a metal ruler, and some white glue. Very low cost for such a challenging craft. As I said, no one seems to know these things exist...mention paper models and right away people say 'Oh, you mean origami'... Paper models are quite a bit beyond that. Thaks for the soapbox, Gary.

posted Hide Post
        Any chance you'll bring back Sandi Gennovese scrapbooking show?

Marsha

Happy to be in God's service.

Posts: 921 | Location: Illinois | Registered: Sep 25, 2009Report This Post
        Picture of Katy D
        posted Hide Post
        Regrettably Scrapbooking is currently on hiatus from the DIY programming lineup. It is, however, airing on our sister network HGTV on Tues. at 6:30 a.m. ET.

Katy D
        DIY Community Gal

posted Hide Post
        Hi Katy, I am trying to find out how to become a personality on an existing show, such as blog cabin, or how to inquire about starting a new show? I am a custom home and mountain home builder with a # of homes in magazines to date and have been wanting to do this for years- please let me know if there is a specific talent agency or what I need to do. Thank you!

Posts: 1 | Location: wisconsin, idaho, colorado, wyoming | Registered: Feb 08, 2010Report This Post
        Picture of Katy D
        posted Hide Post
        We contract out through multiple production companies to film our programs. The hosts selected for our shows are filled by those various production companies. We are not provided with information as to when or how often the production companies hold auditions, nor do we provide specific contact information for the production companies. You may want to consider contacting an agent who will be able to assist you in pursuing this type of career.

As for suggesting program ideas, we appreciate your interest in doing so but we only accept program proposals from television production companies with national or major market production credentials. You would first need to coordinate with a production company to pitch your show idea.

Katy D
        DIY Community Gal

posted Hide Post
        Hi Katy D,
        For over 18 years I have owned and operated a ceiling restoration company, performing such services as: ceiling popcorn, acoustic tile spray coating, ceiling cleaning, "tin look tile installation", spraying open concept ceilings.

I would like to be the go to guy when a ceiling problem is addressed on DIYnetwork. How can I submit a resume of my body or work and expertise? You may view a few how to videos on my website: www.1800ceiling.com. More information at
        www.receilit.com

Glenn Scheel
        President
        1800ceiling.com

Posts: 1 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: Feb 24, 2010Report This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Hi katy,

I was told you were the girl to talk to about Haulin House and Massive Moves.. I wrote in about those shows and was told to contact you about them. I live in Ada, Oklahoma small town of about 35,000..

I was given an old house propably built in the late 40's or early 50's (still trying to find out when it was built)I am going to have to move it to a new location though and have found one and thought that since DIY Network has been running the same re-runs now for months on Haulin House and Masive Moves that you could use a new episode to film and think that my new/old house would be perfect for the show...

I am not sure who else to talk with about getting this done, do you have any imput? If your intrested I can up load pics of the house and send in whatever other information that you or anyone else would need... If your intrested or know who I would need to contact let me know.. Thanks,
        Jac

Posts: 2 | Location: Ada, Oklahhoma | Registered: Feb 26, 2010Report This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Katy. I can and will have pics of the house online tomorow.. Hopefully you will see the charm in the house too and you can tell others what a great story and show it will make...

Posts: 2 | Location: Ada, Oklahhoma | Registered: Feb 26, 2010Report This Post
        Picture of Katy D
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by 1800ceiling:
        Hi Katy D,
        For over 18 years I have owned and operated a ceiling restoration company, performing such services as: ceiling popcorn, acoustic tile spray coating, ceiling cleaning, "tin look tile installation", spraying open concept ceilings.

I would like to be the go to guy when a ceiling problem is addressed on DIYnetwork. How can I submit a resume of my body or work and expertise? You may view a few how to videos on my website: www.1800ceiling.com. More information at
        www.receilit.com

The DIY / HGTV Resource Directory is designed to assist the producers of DIY/HGTV programming in locating possible product resources, locations or events, potential guest appearances as experts in their field, and show ideas. If you would like to submit your product, location, or are interested in appearing as a guest on one of our shows, please visit our Resource Directory on-line at http://resourcedirectory.hgtv.com (www is not necessary in the URL). The information you enter will stay in the database for up to one year. You will be given a confirmation number and personal code in case you need to make any changes. If our producers are interested in your product, they will contact you using the information you have provided.

Katy D
        DIY Community Gal

Picture of Katy D
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by jacg123:
        Hi katy,

I was told you were the girl to talk to about Haulin House and Massive Moves.. I wrote in about those shows and was told to contact you about them. I live in Ada, Oklahoma small town of about 35,000..

I was given an old house propably built in the late 40's or early 50's (still trying to find out when it was built)I am going to have to move it to a new location though and have found one and thought that since DIY Network has been running the same re-runs now for months on Haulin House and Masive Moves that you could use a new episode to film and think that my new/old house would be perfect for the show...

I am not sure who else to talk with about getting this done, do you have any imput? If your intrested I can up load pics of the house and send in whatever other information that you or anyone else would need... If your intrested or know who I would need to contact let me know.. Thanks,
        Jac

Check out DIY’s Be On DIY page. There you’ll will find listings of all the projects we are currently looking for to assist you with.

Katy D
        DIY Community Gal

Picture of Kevin85614
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by Katy D:
        If you are or with a national or major market production company wishing to submit a program proposal, you must follow DIY's submission procedures. To receive a copy of our submission guidelines, please send information about the production company and a request for our guidelines to New Show Idea, DIY--Do It Yourself Network, P.O. Box 50970, Knoxville, TN 37950.

Seems odd that DIY would wait for a Production Company to pitch an idea for a new show, rather than DIY developing a concept that they like and then looking for a production company to create It.

Posts: 2 | Location: Michigan/Arizona | Registered: Mar 11, 2010Report This Post
        Picture of Katy D
        posted Hide Post
        If we develop a concept that we like and want to run with, we would contact a production company to work with on creating it. We contract out through multiple production companies to help film our programs. And advise the same to you, if you have develop a concept you would like to get out there on the networks, you need to coordinate with a production company to make that concept and pitch it to networks as many networks contract out for filming.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Katy D,

Katy D
        DIY Community Gal

posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Hey this is Katy D, your DIY Community Gal and all around DIY Go-To Girl. I am here to share with you what’s new and upcoming with DIY programming and DIYNetwork.com. I also want to hear from you; thoughts, comments and questions.

posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by clarissa mcguire:Hi Katy where is Paul Ryan and Kitchen Renovations?
        quote:
        Hey this is Katy D, your DIY Community Gal and all around DIY Go-To Girl. I am here to share with you what’s new and upcoming with DIY pr ogrammi ng and DIYNetwork.com. I also want to hear from you; thoughts, comments and questions.