All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Feedback Center  Hop To Forums  Talk with DIY Network's Community Gal, Katy D    NICE looking flue cover??
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

NICE looking flue cover?? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Help, please! My husband & I are renovating our kitchen/dining room area, and we uncovered a brick chimney when we knocked out one of the walls. We love it and have cleaned the brick up so it looks great. However, there is a round hole (flue/vent) about 6.5 feet up on the left-hand side on one side of the chimney. My husband doesn't want to patch it with brick in case we eventually decide to put in a wood burning stove. But it cannot stay uncovered.

I am looking for a NICE looking plate-style flue cover. Any ideas on where I can find something like that? I cannot have any of the "vintage" Victorian pastel paintings of little girls, cherubs, or lovers hanging in my dining room. We are definitely going with a rustic, farmhouse theme, so I need it to be something that can go with that. If the vent were centered, we could simply hang art over it. But since it's off to the left, I feel like it should be some kind of plate-cover. I have looked all over the web but had no success. Any suggestions?? Please?
        Thank you!

Posts: 1 | Location: United States | Registered: Jan 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        They are pretty common and inexpensive. The most basic styles look like an embossed paper plate (but made of metal). You should be able to find them at any fireplace shop.

Here's a link to some more decorative styles:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.ht...+Tudor+Village+scene

Jaybee

Posts: 10417 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        Since the vent is off to one side, I would think about hanging two, on either end, of whatever you choose to cover the hole with. Just for visual balance?

Seems you could find something that would work, (even plates are a possibility, with plate hangers) There are also some great friction type of clips that will allow one to hang items from brick walls, without needing to drill to anchor.

Posts: 6894 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post