All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Feedback Center  Hop To Forums  Talk with DIY Network's Community Gal, Katy D    reusing/recycling on kitchen crashers
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

reusing/recycling on kitchen crashers Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I've been watching Kitchen Crashers this morning and am quite disappointed to see so much demo and no reusing/recycling. There are lots of people who could use old kitchen cabinets, closet doors, etc, that are in good condition but just considered "ugly" by the homeowners. Habitat for Humanity Restore is just one option - another is to just place an ad in the paper. Many people may want to use old kitchen cabinets for storage in the garage. Some may just paint them for use in their own home/cabin/etc. To see homeowners and host just demolish all of it seems a big waste.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        IG,
        If you scan the posts you'll see that someone posts your comment about once a month. Commenting here won't change the shows, many of which are several years old. Even writing to HGTV or DIY won't likely change things because unlike the cabinets they do recycle shows and they also don't produce most of their content. You could try to contact the production companies.

This Old House made quite an effort on their last project to reclaim as much of the old materials as possible. They are running a couple of shows now that do come in a reclaim materials from houses slated for demolition. It is a shame seeing perfectly good, but dated, cabinets smashed to bits that could be great in a garage or basement workshop.

Several years ago we redid our original church sanctuary as a coffee shop. A member donated their cabinets as they were remodeling their kitchen. They were typical 1990's white cabinets in fine shape. We put them into the kitchen in almost the same layout, doing some modifications to the counters and shifting a few things around. But all in all the cabinets went into the new space the same way they came out of her kitchen. We got a great functioning kitchen for the cost of a new sink, new dishwasher and microwave oven. We had a fridge and stove.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 626 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        One of the tell tale signs of a hack show is if the host or homeowner "mule kicks" kitchen cabinets in the beginning of a show. And replays two more times during the 22 minutes of the show. That will get me to reach for the clicker every time.
        I too think recycling is paramount in home construction, but has fallen out of favor as the cool thing to do this week in the world of TV.

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1411 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        about all that gets recycled on TV is the sledgehammers. and the jokes.

the theme of most of the DIY genre is "redo the X-room in 2 days," which doesn't leave a lot of time to label doors to cabinets, cabinets to placement, and careful detection and removal of all the fasteners holding things together. so, chainsaws and sledges, because they can't get the Bobcat through the side door.

lot of posts about how pros can't get rid of the cabinets from their demos on here, also.

keep trying. Nicole Curtis has found all the joints where they will demo your area for the salvage, and all the salvage houses holding that stuff, and uses them, in the Twin Cities. any major city will have a version. but they don't show up on the Parade Of Homes tour.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5517 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        Well when you think about it those shows that promise a certain redo in "X" amount of time is just TV talk. Nice for your viewing pleasure if that is what you enjoy. Me, I rather the more technical stuff as it tends to hold your interest longer.
        I also find it hard to fathom that items are hard to be given away. Heck we set out used products on all our jobs and most if those items get scooped up rapidly.

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1411 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Dang, I'm going to sound like an old, stuck record here. (For you young folks, a record is a round disc-like thing that plays music. They had a tendency to stick and play the same short sequence over and over again) Big Grin

I've been in remodeling construction for a quarter century and have done hundreds of TV show remodels. The unpopular facts:

1. Yes, most shows like the look of all that demolition.
        2. Most of the stuff you see destroyed is really crappy, even if it looks good on TV.
        3. Most of the stuff is recycled, or at least an attempt is made. Even in those shows where you see the cabinets kicked in - many of the off-camera ones are saved. Neighbors or crew get a lot of stuff and reuse it.
        4. Places like Habitat etc. will not come out and take all the old stuff. They will come out and pick through a few items, leaving you with the rest to toss yourself.
        5. Recycling is great - but rarely cost effective. Saving cabinets worth $50 and spending $400 to remove them, store them or ship them is a really bad idea.
        6. It costs more to remove items carefully. It costs more to store those items until they can be picked up. Despite ALL the people who write in every month complaining about items being destroyed, I have yet to see any willing to pay the extra cost to do this. All however are fine if someone like the contractor absorbs the extra cost. Hummmm, maybe that is why this is a sore spot for me?

Bottom line for what you see on a how-to TV show: You get about 20 minutes of what happened over three or more days. Only so much time to tell the story, as 99% of what goes on is not seen. Impossible to make a judgement call on what is going on from that and be anywhere near accurate.

Jaybee

Posts: 10150 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        there are tips to be picked up from the shows, and if you do a little web snooping to verify best practices before you adopt anything as gospel, they can be useful.

I consider the redo/upsell shows to be idea generators myself. being an old broadcast brat, I know when I'm being sold, and tradeouts make the tape reels spin here (tradeouts being gimmee goodies for the cost of showing the logo and/or saying, "Hey, Universal MultiStuff brought it, check this out!")

it's called "The Magic of TV," this getting done in 21 minutes or so of the half hour what took a crew days to demo and rebuild, and planners and permitting at least as long. a lot of innocent electrons get slaughtered in shooting and editing a cubic metric tubload of stuff that dies on the cutting-room floor. in the film days, our newsroom averaged a "5 to 1" best-case shoot-to-use in film, and often you would have a 35 second piece out of 400 feet or more of film.

commercial production where the set is not under total control is way higher. this qualifies. in that respect, hooray for tape and digital-storage cameras. all you have to do now is extract the clips you want and erase/reuse the rest of the media. 5-10 percent of all the metallic silver ever used in film washed down our rivers or burned off in incinerators. that's including all the recovery in x-ray, color processing, and scrap recovery at Kodak and DuPont.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5517 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post