Message Boards

Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Rehab addict Sign In/Join 
        posted
        The hostess should demenostrate proper safety precautions and practices like other tv shows on DIY. Flip flops and regular glasses are a joke.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Dec 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        Totally agree 100%. But the tank tops and ripped jeans are a must.....Kidding a tad but it is a TV show first and that show appeal is paramount. At least with flip flops she cannot kick through drywall, which seems the norm on How-To shows airing. Always a real hoot to see that.

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1535 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        I think the lack of safety protection on many of the DIY shows supports the premise that they're partly entertainment, not purely or necessarily instructional.

If Nicole were an old woman who wore baggy clothes and steel toed boots, does anyone really think the show would have the same appeal?

And on that subject, let's not ignore the fact that there are plenty of b_u_t_t shots of the men.

Eye candy seems to be a factor in these shows. Big Grin

But I've also seen a few episodes of TOH when guys were touching or handling fiberglass insulation without protection. And how many times have guys on DIY shows touched mold with their bare hands and without wearing respiratory protection?

Seguing into the issue of safety, how much protection does anyone think is afforded to workers against office and sick building syndrome?

There are a lot of safety issues that aren't addressed in this arena but then there aren't that many programs focused on office workers and their health issues.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Posts: 1928 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        I think it's all a reflection of what how-to programing is these days. Go back ten to fifteen years when cable and how-to programing were just getting started and the focus of the programs was on method and technique. Back then things like eye protection, gloves, tucked-in shirts and saw guards were mandatory - it they weren't there then those shots just didn't make the final cut.

But TV is all about doing something new and different. There are only so many 'exciting' ways to install crown molding or hang a door. Once all the how-to topics got totally beaten to death the shows morphed more into entertainment - it was all about the WoW factor - really cool stuff made for 'deserving' families. Somewhere in there highlighting building methods got lost and along with it, the need for safety measures.

In a way, it's OK. It's very obvious that you cannot watch a 30 minute 'how-to' program and use it as a tutorial for a project of your own. The purpose of the shows now is to give you some ideas and to let you know what could be done, not how to do it. so just like you cannot watch a show and learn how to install crown molding, you cannot expect to learn the safety measures needed either.

Jaybee

Posts: 10423 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Hmm, G.sprite, your explaination now tells me why I don't have my own show

Posts: 2572 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Nona, are you referring to my post that remains or the one I just deleted (b/c I was having trouble with the quotes
        and my comments to them and didn't feel like fussing with formatting)?

And if it's any consolation, I'd never have my own show either! But then, I don't understand why so many people do have their own shows, especially when they have nothing to say (I'm referring to those horrid programs that seem to be on every tv in every medical waiting room and are so dreadful).

Posts: 1928 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post