All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Outdoor Projects    repairing covered porch gutters
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

repairing covered porch gutters Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I'm working on repairing the porch on my fixer-upper built in 1890. The gutters, and supporting wood structure, need serious help. Here's a Flickr link to a photoset.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9...s/72157633694367732/

The curve is giving me a logistical headache. The gutters were cut in short sections to angle around the curve. They aren't sloped right, and water isn't draining to the downspouts like it should. How do I fix that?

Also, you can see that in front of the gutter, wood blocks were placed and roll-roofing nailed on top to cover the structure in front of the gutter. That looks HIDEOUS and most of it except the corner in the first pic is ripped off anyway. What can I do (that would look nice) to protect the area in front of the gutter?

The white plastic stuff was cut and wedged to fit the curve too. Is there a better way to do that, or should I just replace it as is, and do a better job cutting and nailing down? I guess it would be hidden under whatever I do to fix the roll-roofing issue.

I'm open to any creative, helpful suggestions. I love doing my own DIY work to repair stuff around the house, but I'm still in college and don't have much experience with big, puzzling projects like this.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Trexmix,

Posts: 3 | Registered: May 31, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        PVC lumber is a natural for this lovely curve in replacing the cap on the roof beams.

as for the gutters... oh, goody. you can draw aluminum guttering, but unless you do quite the bending jig, it's going to pucker. if you pull PVC that far with heat and pressure, it's going to open up.

that's a wonderful old-timey porch I'd love to have, and you may end up having to do a wonderful old-timey custom job on the gutters... meaning no K-shape, making them our of pieces and soldering or brazing the back, bottom, and front together into one curved piece. the chattery slap-n-dash that was up there was somebody trying to complete a repair bid that was way over their head.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5524 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        I have no answers for you but wanted to express my admiration for tackling what appears to be a marvelous old Victorian. Is it 2 or 3 stories high?

Good luck with your project and kudos for saving what I think will be a beautiful house.

Posts: 1755 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks guys! I appreciate the input and admiration. Smile I posted this question on the This Old House forum, and only got 1 unhelpful and somewhat condescending post. Basically, "you're screwed, your house is a wreck, go hire a contractor.". It is 2 stories with a full walk-in attic. What is there now is indeed a slap-dash job by the previous homeowner (or a contractor). I keep going through the house and shaking my head at his "repairs" and "upgrades".

PVC lumber sounds interesting, I haven't heard of it before. I'll have to look into it.

posted Hide Post
        ooohhhh cool! Look what I found!

http://www.kleerlumber.com/tri...oducts/moulding.html

*mental gears start turning with possibilities*