All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Outdoor Projects    Privacy Planter | Contending with a Slope
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Privacy Planter | Contending with a Slope Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hi All,

I am building a privacy planter on 2 strips of earth that are between a concrete patio, sidewalk and driveway - I don't think the dimensions are relevant to my question.

The problem I am having is that the driveway slopes down and away as does the sidewalk. The patio was just poured and is level save for a slight grade for H20. Please see this photo for more detail. The 2x6 show here is level but as you can see the drive slopes away. I plan on stacking my 2x6 stretchers between my 4x4's until I can a solid wall which will hold in the soil. I want to the tops of my planters to all be level. Therefore, I assume that I need to scribe or somehow translate the slope to a 2x6 and rip it accordingly to fit the first course at the bottom.

What are some tips or tricks I can employ here to do this correctly?

Here is one more photo

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jindi,

Posts: 48 | Location: United States | Registered: Jul 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        It appears you have a sizeable slope to the concrete. Is there sufficent clearence between the 4X4's and the concrete for the width of the 2X6 (1-1/2"). With that much slope you will just end up with a sliver at one end. If it will fit between the concrete and the 4X4 then your best bet would be to lower it into the ground rather than ripping it down.

If that does not work then you need to mark a line from the concrete up on the 4X4 (sloped end) at 5-1/2". You can drive a small nail into that line. Now rest the 2X6 on that nail and with a level on top you can raise and lower that on the shallow end until it is level. Use your clamp and clamp in place once level. Now mark a pencil mark on the 4X4 at the bottom edge of that 2X6. Now you can remove the 2X6 and measure the distance from that line to the concrete. That will tell you how much you need to take off the bottom edge (shallow end) to the other end (deep end).

If that is not too thin you can layout the 2X6 and snap a chaulk line from the wide end (bottome edge) to the amount than needs removed from the shallow end bottom edge. Rip with a circular saw.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: redoverfarm,

Posts: 1759 | Location: Applachain | Registered: Feb 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        redOverFarm. very helpful reply to my post. Appreciate your taking the time.

I employed your suggestions and think I got it. I dig out some of the earth on the inside between the driveway and 4x4's. Managed to get the horizontal 2x6 across and level. I have to try on the others runs now. I thought it would be a lot more difficult. Progress picture here.. Now that I see it in action it's like a ton of bricks. I was over over-thinking this. Thanks for the thorough write-up redOverFarm.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jindi,

Posts: 48 | Location: United States | Registered: Jul 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Glad you got it worked out.

Posts: 1759 | Location: Applachain | Registered: Feb 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post