All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Outdoor Projects    Oil based stain on siding
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Oil based stain on siding Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I had recently purchased a townhouse and the previous owners stained the deck with oil based stain. MY GOD did they make a mess. Everything from spatter to bush hits. Any suggestions for removing the stain? I have tried hot water and soap, "Krud Kutter", mineral spirits and paint thinner without any luck.

Posts: 24 | Registered: Apr 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        What is the siding made of? Vinyl, steel, concrete board or wood?
        Might possibly be easier to touch up with paint or use a solid stain to match the siding, over the splatters.

Posts: 6884 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        It's vinyl siding.

Posts: 24 | Registered: Apr 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I don't think vinyl will absorb the stain , it just sits on it. If you leave it , it will disappear with rain and sunlight

Posts: 2535 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        once it's dry, yeah, it's in there to stay. try a Magic Eraser in a non-obvious spot. it will rough up the siding to make a dull spot, but it ought to remove the stain. you might be able to bring up the shine with some oil, but I fear you're facing a paint job. if so, prime the spots with Kilz exterior first.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5729 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        A picture of the damage is always a help.
        You can change out a whole piece of siding in about 10 min. at about 1/2 the price of a qt. of paint and not have to look at all the touch ups that did not quite match.

joecaption

Posts: 18026 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        assuming you can find matching vinyl siding. that stuff changes as quickly as midprice flooring.

another good reason to clutter up the garage rafters with at least one extra package of everything you install on the house. only problem left is sun fade...

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5729 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post