DIY Message Boards
Oil based stain on siding

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9321916776/m/9573916108

Mar 02, 2014, 02:05 PM
JTNuck
Oil based stain on siding
I had recently purchased a townhouse and the previous owners stained the deck with oil based stain. MY GOD did they make a mess. Everything from spatter to bush hits. Any suggestions for removing the stain? I have tried hot water and soap, "Krud Kutter", mineral spirits and paint thinner without any luck.
Mar 02, 2014, 06:20 PM
Conrad
What is the siding made of? Vinyl, steel, concrete board or wood?
Might possibly be easier to touch up with paint or use a solid stain to match the siding, over the splatters.
Mar 02, 2014, 06:38 PM
JTNuck
It's vinyl siding.
Mar 02, 2014, 07:27 PM
nona
I don't think vinyl will absorb the stain , it just sits on it. If you leave it , it will disappear with rain and sunlight
Mar 02, 2014, 07:43 PM
swschrad
once it's dry, yeah, it's in there to stay. try a Magic Eraser in a non-obvious spot. it will rough up the siding to make a dull spot, but it ought to remove the stain. you might be able to bring up the shine with some oil, but I fear you're facing a paint job. if so, prime the spots with Kilz exterior first.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?
Mar 05, 2014, 06:37 AM
joecaption
A picture of the damage is always a help.
You can change out a whole piece of siding in about 10 min. at about 1/2 the price of a qt. of paint and not have to look at all the touch ups that did not quite match.

joecaption
Mar 05, 2014, 12:20 PM
swschrad
assuming you can find matching vinyl siding. that stuff changes as quickly as midprice flooring.

another good reason to clutter up the garage rafters with at least one extra package of everything you install on the house. only problem left is sun fade...

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?