All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Outdoor Projects    Applying water repellent to chimney
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Applying water repellent to chimney Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hello All,

We have a very porous brick chimney that has become very damp and smelly with all the rain here in the NE. I had a chimney expert come take a look at it and he said it needed water repellent applied to the exterior. He said our chimney is about 200 square feet and that it would take approximately 12 gallons of repellent to seal the whole thing. We looked into doing this ourselves and it says each gallon covers approximately 100 square feet. Am I missing something? Because, if this is correct, the cost for the repellent alone, without labor, would be close to $1,000. Any help would be appreciated.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Jul 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I would say that he is a little off on his application rate. Most 1 gal covers 100-150 sf. To properly treat I would double up on the quanity sf to make it two coats. So given 200 sf coverage I would purchase enough to treat 400 sq ft ( two applications) Allow sufficent time of recoats for the product to dry. There are several on the market so I would shop around.

Here is just one of many when "googled" Masonry Water repellents.

http://www.amazon.com/A-Tech-M...ellent/dp/B008DG7U5G

Posts: 1731 | Location: Applachain | Registered: Feb 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thank you for your reply. I can't imagine what he was talking about. He quoted me $1,000 for just 12 gallons of the product. Actually, seeing this price, even if I used 12 gallons it would still come to less than $500.

posted Hide Post
        Most likely he included labor in that quote.

Posts: 1731 | Location: Applachain | Registered: Feb 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        No, he didn't. He quoted an additional $200 for two guys for an hour. Total quote was $1,200. And he confirmed there was no scraping or masonry work needed. Just spraying and that's it.

We just checked back with him and he was offended that we questioned the number of gallons. I have contacted 4 chimney companies and water repellent manufacturers today and all said it should take about 3 gallons at most. A very frustrating situation.

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Sometimes you just need to go with your gut. Choose someone else. If for no other reason because the math just doesn't work. If the chimney is 200SF and the sealer covers 100 SF a gallon then it's pretty basic: Two, maybe three gallons.

Since there are other places to do this, get another quote.

Jaybee

Posts: 10139 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks, everyone! Smile