All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Outdoor Projects    Outdoor Fireplace connected to Screened Porch
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Outdoor Fireplace connected to Screened Porch Sign In/Join 
        posted
        My screened porch is raised 48" and I am wanted to know the proper way to build my fireplace, specifically the firebox so that it is structurally sound. Because it is being built off the ground I want to know the proper way to support it. I hope this makes sense to someone. Thanks in advance for your help.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        that's a good question for your local building inspector. I'm thinking the porch is actually a deck-like structure, and putting a gas fireplace in there is way below code and not acceptable.

a wood-burner is definitely out.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5780 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        If I understand your question that you want to have the firebox at the same heigth as your screen porch floor. The method would depend on the type of fireplace you are going to erect. If it is wood burning does it have a prefabricated firebox or firebrick. If it is a mason structure then it needs to have a footing at ground level and then up with block to that level. If it is a fabricated then a wood frame constrtuction keeping withthe manufacturers recommendation of clearences.

If it is a gas fireplace then a wood or mason platform will work as long as you again keep with the manufacturers guidelines on clearences.

Maybe a clarification in your question might help.

Posts: 1760 | Location: Applachain | Registered: Feb 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post