All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Outdoor Projects    Help make my fiance happy!!!
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Help make my fiance happy!!! Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hey guys new blogger here and I need some help my fiance wants to build a 12x16 shed for fairly cheap however we have no idea what were doing we are not completely hopeless I get the basic idea of framing walls up but I was wondering if anyone knew of any step by step plans for this size shed with a price list and list of materials I would be greatful BTW this shed doesn't need to be pretty it just needs to fill a basic need thanks!!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        There are kits available at home centers for sheds that make them near idiot proof.

Keep in mind a 12x16 shed will likely need a permit. In my town I can go up to a 10x10 without a permit, and after posting here for 10 years or so, I've learned that is pretty common in the USA.

I would cover the shed with Hardi-Panel T1-11 or Hardi-plank siding or other fiber cement siding instead of wood or vinyl.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 888 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Hey thanks very much for responding! OK so I know he doesn't want a shed kit he wants to build it himself plus we've looked onto them and I feel like were paying for the finishings like the windows and such when we really just want something he can pull his lawnmower into and work on it I hear ya about the size do you think a 10x10 would give him enough room to do that? Thanks for the input!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        A quick Google of "storage shed plans" gives a lot of results to choose from.

Plus - I bet that somewhere in all those how-to books that you see at home stores that there are some about building sheds.

Jaybee

Posts: 10477 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Plans are certainly another option. The kits are wood sheds that you assemble, but a lot of the parts come precut. They also have roof trusses, taking care of the hardest part for a newbie. Check with your town building permit department to see what size requires a permit. Don't forget about you HOA if your have one.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sparky617,

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 888 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        One other thing to consider is price. I've looked at some of the sheds available at home stores (pre-built) and when you compare the cost of the finished shed to that of buying just the materials - the price is not that different. A by-product of mass production methods.

If you want the experience of building something and wish to hone your admittedly low building skills, then a shed is a great way to start. It's hard to mess it up to the point that you couldn't use it. OTOH, if your main goal is to get a shed at a good balance of time and money spent, then buying a pre-built one could be the way to do. You'd still have to get it leveled and probably make some kind of ramp.

In-between would be finding a kit with pre-built sections and good instructions. (That's when you find out what kind of tools you'll need)

If you do decide to go with a pre-built, check around your area for companies that are just in the shed-building business. They frequently offer deals on models that aren't selling. Also check them at home shows as you can get great prices on show models that are either going to be trucked back to their lot or sold at a lower price to avoid doing just that.

Jaybee

Posts: 10477 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        If you like any of these styles, then your in luck.

http://www.familyhandyman.com/sheds

Click on link, pick the one you like and click on it. Then click view all and scroll down.

This site here is a little rough, but it should keep you busy.

http://www.woodworkersworkshop...es/index.php?cat=102

Posts: 907 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post