DIY Message Boards
Gaps under deck beams

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9321916776/m/8433918277

Aug 05, 2013, 03:27 PM
StefanS
Gaps under deck beams
I just laid a pair of 4x8 beams for my freestanding deck and because of a bit of crowning, a couple of the piers don't make contact with the beams. What is the best solution? More info: the beams are PT Fir, 20' in length. The piers are 3' deep, 12" diameter, with non-adjustable metal brackets set into the concrete. Span is 6' (four per beam)

Thanks!
Aug 05, 2013, 05:01 PM
Jaybee
If the bow is not enough to affect the look of the deck than you can just shim up to the beams at the high spots. Use a composite shim so it doesn't rot.

If those high spots are noticable, then you may want to leave those gaps unshimmed. In time, they will probably drop down.

Third option that will only work if your piers are solid and sturdy: Get enough weight on the deck to force the beam to make contact, then connect together with a steel plate.

Jaybee
Aug 05, 2013, 05:13 PM
StefanS
Thanks Jaybee. The beams aren't going anywhere. I've jumped up and down on them and they don't budge. I'm just concerned that the gap causes all the load to go to the piers that ARE contacting the beam.
Aug 05, 2013, 08:57 PM
Jaybee
Think of it this way: if the beams are raised up above some of the piers, then yes - the load will be going to the other piers. But, if you start to get a large load on the deck (large enough to compromise the smaller number of piers that are carrying the load) then it's also enough load to load the high spots down so that all the piers are now carrying weight.

Jaybee