All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Outdoor Projects    Wide Deck Stairs - Not Straight
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Wide Deck Stairs - Not Straight Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I have deck that was built by the previous home owner. There is a set of stairs about 14 ft wide that were too steep, sloped down, and to my discovery had cracked and rotted stingers. So I started over. I cut new stringers and attached them. Everything is pretty level and an overall better layout.

The issue came when I slid the 2x4 cleat under the inside stringers (two outside stringers aren't notched, the rest are). The cleat was lined up flush with all but the last two stringers on one end. The stringers are 1/2" short. I check them and they are the same total run as the rest. I realized the deck is not straight. I am connecting to the outside 2x12 frame of the deck. All the deck planking butt-ends to these stairs. If I have this problem with the cleat than I will also with all the treads.

The only thing I can think of is shorten the top tread of the majority of stringers by a 1/2". Then I would have to rip the top back 2x6 tread to match the angle. That would be a 14' rip. Any better ideas?

The picture shows the stair area. The two "short" stringers would be the last two on the left. The bend in the deck frame seems to be happening at the support column under the deck on the left.

Deck stairs removed

Posts: 1 | Location: United States | Registered: Jul 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        use a padding piece of treated lumber on the center to make up the difference??

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5729 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        If you are trying to make up for the out-of-square deck then you are going to have a long rip in there somewhere. Either rip down that tip step or add a filler piece along the top.

Only other way is to seriously rebuild the deck and make is square - an option that I'm sure you do not want to do.

Jaybee

Posts: 10305 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post