DIY Message Boards
Wide Deck Stairs - Not Straight

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9321916776/m/8233914377

Aug 29, 2013, 09:57 AM
ChopperWalker
Wide Deck Stairs - Not Straight
I have deck that was built by the previous home owner. There is a set of stairs about 14 ft wide that were too steep, sloped down, and to my discovery had cracked and rotted stingers. So I started over. I cut new stringers and attached them. Everything is pretty level and an overall better layout.

The issue came when I slid the 2x4 cleat under the inside stringers (two outside stringers aren't notched, the rest are). The cleat was lined up flush with all but the last two stringers on one end. The stringers are 1/2" short. I check them and they are the same total run as the rest. I realized the deck is not straight. I am connecting to the outside 2x12 frame of the deck. All the deck planking butt-ends to these stairs. If I have this problem with the cleat than I will also with all the treads.

The only thing I can think of is shorten the top tread of the majority of stringers by a 1/2". Then I would have to rip the top back 2x6 tread to match the angle. That would be a 14' rip. Any better ideas?

The picture shows the stair area. The two "short" stringers would be the last two on the left. The bend in the deck frame seems to be happening at the support column under the deck on the left.

Deck stairs removed

Aug 29, 2013, 01:16 PM
swschrad
use a padding piece of treated lumber on the center to make up the difference??

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?
Aug 29, 2013, 06:11 PM
Jaybee
If you are trying to make up for the out-of-square deck then you are going to have a long rip in there somewhere. Either rip down that tip step or add a filler piece along the top.

Only other way is to seriously rebuild the deck and make is square - an option that I'm sure you do not want to do.

Jaybee