All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Outdoor Projects    rotten wood column - please help
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

rotten wood column - please help Sign In/Join 
        posted
        hi, please see attached.
        I have that problem with my post, at first i thought it was an easy fix by cleaning it good, then applying the wood hardener, wood filler (forgot what it's called), let it dry then sand and paint. But while cleaning the rotten wood, i found out that it's hollow inside ... now i'm not sure what i need to do...could someone please give me advices...
        thanks experts,

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tony560,

Posts: 12 | Registered: Aug 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        (1) find out why it rotted. it got wet someplace, somehow. fix that first.

(2) make sure the other posts are not creepy.

(3) make sure the roof and deck are solid. if not, fix that now.

(4) a hollow column will provide something around a half ton of support if it was a rated, not decorative, column. if anything in step (3) caused a clearance gap at the column, you need to replace it. this will require alternate support of the roof. otherwise, clean to good wood and a little beyond, set a dissolveable form inside like shirt cardboard, affix firmly some fiberglass screen to the sides, like with the Bondo you will use to fill the post, and when hard, use a fibered Bondo mix to fill the missing area. sand, prime, paint.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5729 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Just replace it with a PVC or fiberglass column and never have to deal with it again.
        Just Google Column and hundreds of company's will come up that make them.

joecaption

Posts: 18026 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        thanks for the advice Smile
        took me a while but here it is, hopefully it'll stay for a while...just waiting for it to dry, then sand and paint Smile
        quote:
        Originally posted by swschrad:
        (1) find out why it rotted. it got wet someplace, somehow. fix that first.

(2) make sure the other posts are not creepy.

(3) make sure the roof and deck are solid. if not, fix that now.

(4) a hollow column will provide something around a half ton of support if it was a rated, not decorative, column. if anything in step (3) caused a clearance gap at the column, you need to replace it. this will require alternate support of the roof. otherwise, clean to good wood and a little beyond, set a dissolveable form inside like shirt cardboard, affix firmly some fiberglass screen to the sides, like with the Bondo you will use to fill the post, and when hard, use a fibered Bondo mix to fill the missing area. sand, prime, paint.
        [FLASH_VIDEO] [/FLASH_VIDEO]

Posts: 12 | Registered: Aug 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post