All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Outdoor Projects    Deck Restore
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Deck Restore Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Just saw an ad for a new Rustoleum product called "Restore" that claims to resurface old decks with a material that reminds me of truck bed liner. Does anyone have experience with this product and if so, what is your opinion? I have a 25+ year old deck that either needs to be replaced or renovated and this looks like it might be an option.

Posts: 835 | Location: Rogers City, MI | Registered: Sep 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        I haven't used it but took a look at the you-tube video they have up. The stuff looks much like truck bed liner for decks.

I'm sure that it will do what they say - coating and filling most of the ugly on an old, split deck surface.

However - it's pretty ugly itself! While much cheaper than replacing decking it's not inexpensive. I don't think I would use it on any of my decks and will not be recommending it to clients. My concerns are:

1. Fairly high cost for what you get.
        2. Ugly surface. 10X worse than that ugly, original Trex product of 15 years ago.
        3. Adhesion over time. While the thick material will cover many sins, if any of the old deck paint or stain starts to peel off, it will eventually make a soft spot that will chip off too.

I guess I just think it looks too ugly to use. Just my opinion.

Jaybee

Posts: 10124 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I got the same impression after watching the marketing video. Only sure way to tell is to inspect an actual allpication.

Posts: 835 | Location: Rogers City, MI | Registered: Sep 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        I just happened to go over to a friends house this afternoon - He had used Restore on their old decks a couple of years ago. Just the facts:

1. It's holding up well
        2. It looks better than old, cracked decking
        3. It is a very rough surface
        4. It is not pretty

Jaybee

Posts: 10124 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        A power wash followed by a deck stain [or paint] will breath new life into a deck. Just another option, and not an expensive one at that.

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post