All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Outdoor Projects    Question or a idea on how to do my project
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Question or a idea on how to do my project Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hi My husband and I moved into a modular almost 2 years ago and live on a hill with no blockers from the wind, we noticed with the wind blowing 40 to 50 mph it is moving our place so much the water in toliet moves.
        So since my husband broke his leg in five places we have changed places and I now do the outside work, he can help a little but mostly it's me. we are both retired due to disability and love to do home improvement projects before he got hurt he could do anything, and are willing to work hard because we don't know anyone around here to help, we are 55 and 54 so this has to be kinda easy
        so my question is how do I build or what do I use to protect my place. It already has started to move along the seam where the modular fit together. Trees are out of the question we would have to buy 12 ft trees just to cover the side.
        I thought about building a wood wall as high as I can and put some sort of wind deflector so the wind goes up and over the house. If I can't figure this out I might have to move. don't really want to do that, there is nothing blocking the wind because of the hill we live on, so it has to be 24ft wide and 12 ft high
        does anyone have any thoughts on this idea?

Posts: 2 | Location: Joe@thelastwebmaster.com | Registered: Jan 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        first, have the home's structure evaluated by a local pro. if it's buckling, there is damage that will grow worse.

next, I'd put some thick bushes up in chevrons to block and divert the wind from the foundation. the faster-growing and denser, the better. beyond them, and those bushes should be chosen for short life and quick growth as they are going to be chopped out, plant something like bushy pines or spruces in a windbreak against the direction of the prevailing winds. plant those to stay, your average canopy is going to range from 20 to 30 feet in diameter, so plant to stay without trimming. over a decade or so, they will take the place of the bushes.

at that point, the bushes should be getting ratty, so plant something nice in their place that provides good ground cover and can stand partial sun. those should be thought of as permanent, because as the conifers grow, the lower branches will thin out, lose their needles, and need to be chopped off.

that ought to take care of the issue for your lifetimes.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5832 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Please be sure to not plant trees under power lines and be aware of how much they'll spread before they'd touch any lines, too. You might go on Freecycle.org and ask if anyone would have any bushes or trees to offer. (You never pay for items on Freecycle.) It's just a way to give away items and to ask for things you might need. I've given away rose bushes, (told them they'd have to dig them themselves), a couple pieces of furniture and some clothing. Couldn't hurt to try there.

Good luck to you and your husband.

Posts: 90 | Location: Midwest | Registered: May 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I think the water movement in the toilet is simply air coming in through the vent.
        It's not uncommon for Modular homes to need re-leveling from time to time.
        If you think you need extra protection from the wind hurricane straps do well.

Posts: 899 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I would like to thank everyone for their idea's they have helped alot
        thanks from Joe and Debi

Posts: 2 | Location: Joe@thelastwebmaster.com | Registered: Jan 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post