All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Outdoor Projects    Extending joists on an existing deck
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Extending joists on an existing deck Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I have been scouring the net and a number of boards and blogs but haven't quite got a definite answer to this. I think I know but I want to be sure before I proceed.

I am replacing all the top boards and railing on my 42' x 20' deck. This was built in the early 70's and everything has just rotted away over time. The joists and the girders look to be in excellent condition. No rot. No slip (the deck is built overhanging a hill at the end of my property). So far it seems like an almost purely redwood project to me...except one thing:

For some odd reason the builders chose to NOT build a true rectangle...they left a 2ft "chunk" off the end on the right half of the deck. So, instead of 42ft wide and 20ft deep all the way across it's 21'w x20'd for the left half and 21'w x 18'd for the right half. They left a 21'x2' "notch" off the far end of right half for some reason.

I would like to add that additional 2' back onto the right half completing the rectangle. This would require extending half the joists (11 of them) 2'. The ends of the joists extend out from the last girder the entire wide of the deck. Those on the left half extend out about 3'. Those on the right half about 1'.

Since there is no support at the end of the joists I've been working on ways of adding the last 2' and still maintain integrity (and hopefully pass an eventual inspection). The joists are 2x12 PT and I've thought of butting the ends together and sandwiching the joint between 2 1' pieces of 2x12 (one on each side) secured with 4 1/2" bolts (2 on each side of the joint through-and-through). I've also considered using some existing joist hardware but can't find anything specifically for this task, which tends to make me believe it's not supposed to be done.

I'd be interested in hearing from any of the experts out there. I'm a pretty handy guy and I tend to overbuild my projects (I once built a waterbed frame you could park a Mac truck on) but this one could hurt someone if I'm wrong. If the end I build fails the drop is about 20' onto a chain link fence and then a long way down a steep hill...not a pretty picture.

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance...

Mike

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ntm91307,

Posts: 2 | Registered: Oct 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Question: How are the joists supported? If the joists are attached to a double outer ribbon then extending things will be difficult. If the existing joists are directly bearing on top of a beam that is in turn supported by posts, then you are simply extending a deck and making it cantilevered.

If it's cantilevered, then the two main factors are how large is the support beam(s) and how far from the beam will the cantilever joint be. As a general structural rule, you'll want to have 2/3 of your extra joists attached to the existing joists and 1/3 for the addition - so you are looking at 6' long 2x12 material. This can be nailed, bolted or both to the existing joists.

Basically, as long as you have a beam underneath and supporting the existing joists a 2' extension should be possible, however it would be better if you could either post some pics to confirm the structure or get someone with some structural knowledge to take a look at what you plan to do.

Jaybee

Posts: 10298 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        The joists are anchored to the side of the concrete slab at one end (about a foot thick), that is my backyard essentially, and supported at the other by a beam (looks like roughly 4x16) supported by posts.

I see your solution and it's a simple one...kind of wish I'd thought of it myself. I didn't know the 1/3 - 2/3 ratio but it makes nothing but sense given the fact that at 2ft out a 260lb man (me) is going to exert about 520lbs of force on that joint. Put 5 or 6 of us out there (I throw big parties) and you've got few baby elephants stomping around out on the ends of a few measly boards. I get it...Smile

Thanks for your help...Smile

Mike

Posts: 2 | Registered: Oct 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        I agree with Jaybee. Good stuff there. You may have to get approval from the local code office as well. That will help with insurance questions should a walk though take place from an agent.
        {Spam bump} Big Grin

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1433 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post