All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Outdoor Projects    Rain Chains
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Rain Chains Sign In/Join 
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted
        Thanks to Sparky617, I just found some information on Rain Chains, which I've seen and admired frequently at one of the medical buildings we regularly visit.

I think we've had some discussion on these before but I was wondering if anyone has used them and if they're an adequate substitution for downspouts, assuming there are no local code issues.

They're certainly more attractive.

I was wondering how well they'd work though during a major downpour. It seems as if the rain would be pouring off the gutters and roof so fast and heavily that the chains couldn't handle it.

Posts: 1929 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        my first thought was a "rain chain" would never replace my trusty weather rock. it has never failed me.

if it's wet, it's raining.

if it's bright, the sun is out.

if you trip over it, it's night.

if you can't see it up here, it's snowing.

and if it's moving with the wind, your tail is doomed.

if it's in the air, you are really doomed.

so who needs a clanking chain?

kind of like the Amish Doppler, assuming you pull the blinds and look out.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5820 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        As long as you are going straight down to the ground and have a way to handle the water once on the ground they'll work fine. They look pretty cool and can't clog but you have to have a plan to handle the water once it gets to the ground.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 853 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I think they're lovely and probably work great except in a heavy downpour. Alas, in my neck of the woods (actually big-city suburbia), anything made of copper outside one's home is like a neon sign saying, "STEAL ME." I do see on the website, however, they come in metals other than copper.

Posts: 18 | Registered: May 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I was riding out near a newish large development and there was a large loop of fiber optic cable on an overhead pole that was going to feed this area. There was a large metal sign hanging next to the cable informing potential thieves that is was fiber optic cable and contained no copper.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 853 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        I would probably only consider them if I had both very wide eaves and NO BASEMENT. Just too much of chance during that random downpour (or several days of steady rain), that the water would not be directed far enough away from the home's foundation.

Maybe if you had a section of porch that jutted out from your main structure? So there would not be the same amount of run off.

Posts: 6894 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks for the helpful suggestions. After reading Sparky’s first post I was all set to order some, but then read the posts about copper theft and changed my mind. Sometime within the last 5 - 6 years one of the local code enforcement officers told me that houses on the west side of my community were being stripped of plumbing and copper wiring. It never occurred to me that a copper yard decoration could fall into the category of being thief material, but I guess times have changed.

Swschrad, your perspective on “natural “ weather prediction and analysis is amusing - reminds me of the Old Farmers’ Almanacs and their basic, less complex suggestions for weather interpretations as opposed to the complex models of the forecasters.

I was thinking more that rain bells are charming to look at, and the sound is soothing and relaxing. It’s like having an element of a Zen garden around my home.

As to the drainage issue, that could be a concern, so I need to think about that aspect more. There is a possibility of putting them on the garage though, as my entire garden is somewhat sunken and I could plant thirsty crops in line with the downspouts. I’m still thinking about creating some decorative rain barrels. I could also use other materials.

Still, I really like the copper but don’t want to take the chance of tempting thieves, so this project goes on the back burner for awhile.

Thanks to each of you for sharing suggestions and thoughts on this issue.

Posts: 1929 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        funny story about a copper thief
        the shop is a typical building with trucks parked outside. surrounded by a 8' chain link fence. 2 security cameras.and burgler alarm system
        around 2 am, the alarm went off. the cameras kicked on. a young man , came over the fence, and stole a roll of coper out of the back of one of the trucks. back over fence he went..and away in the nite on a bicycle
        the police stopped him, moments latter, with the roll of copper around his neck
        as he rode his bike
        the police addressed him as "Mr T" what is that around your neck? his reply.. "its my jew-ry"
        ok' Mr T get in the car....

Posts: 4058 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post