All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Outdoor Projects    Help with posts on a Pavilion
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Help with posts on a Pavilion Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I will be building a pavilion in the next couple of months and needed some advice on whats the best way to secure the post for the pavilion. The pavilion will be 14x16 feet and my post will be 8x8 rough cut cedar. Do i need to sink the post straight into the ground or can i pour footers and anchor them to the top of the footer? The floor under the pavilion will be made out of pavers. Thanks for any input.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Save yourself a lot of time and make a quick phone call to your local code department. Ask to speak to the plans review guy. In our area, wood piers are required to be anchored via a metal base plate.

Like this:

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDi...l=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

Then come in 4x4 and 6x6 sizes.

Personally, I prefer to embed a ground contact post on a below-ground concrete footer and then pour a second fill around it to hold it in place. This makes for a stiffer structure, especially if it's tall. But the base plates work too and as long as you have several support posts and they are tied securely to the rest of the structure, you can make a stiff pavilion.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jaybee,

Jaybee

Posts: 10425 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        As already stated I would get in contact with your local Land Use Office, You may need to get a permit as well.

My personal opinion... 8x8 post for 14x16 pavilion would be an overkill. Also, in my area the footers would have to be three times that size around and 32" deep. 3 x 8 = 24", not only would I have to dig this by hand but the material cost would be a lot more.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ron45,

Posts: 887 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post