All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Outdoor Projects    Can I rain/snow proof a filing cabinet or something similar?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Can I rain/snow proof a filing cabinet or something similar? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I'm trying to set up a Free Little Library, http://littlefreelibrary.org/. It's a simple "give a book/take a book" project that will be on my front lawn. Most people build or buy things that look like giant birdhouses, but I have very limited funds and am not skilled enough to take on such a large project.

Therefore I was thinking about modifying a piece of furniture from Craig's List/etc. My first thought was a filing cabinet- it's tall enough to notice, already has drawers, and isn't going to be carried off easily. However, I live in upstate NY and need to find a way to protect it from the rain and (if possible) snow storms.

Although I found fireproof/waterproof cabinets, I couldn't find a way to waterproof a regular metal one. Is this possible? Do you have any suggestions for something else I could modify; I have only hand tools and a beginner's ability.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jun 24, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        nope. just build a little fairy hut from cedar for your little library.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5849 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Ok. I'll look into other options. Thanks.

posted Hide Post
        You would be better off setting this up at a library, school, AYA, YMCA, community centers,churches, even old folks home and centers, etc., check your local fireman, police, they may have something similar or can give you some ideas of where and how or some kind of meeting house/ building that has at least some type of security or even a hallway, overhang, etc..

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ron45,

Posts: 907 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        You would be better off setting this up at a library, school, AYA, YMCA,
        your local fireman, police, community centers, churches, even old folks home and centers, etc., they may have something similar or can give you some ideas of where and how or some kind of meeting house/ building that has at least some type of security or even a hallway, overhang, etc..

Posts: 907 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Yes, ron, I probably would be better setting this up at one of the places you mentioned. I live in a high-crime area and the chances that my little library will be damaged or stolen are high. However, the idea of this project is to put books right in front of those who don't have access to them. The nearest library, police station, fire station and community center are much too far away to walk to - and while there are several neighborhood churches, they tend to be cliquey. The people right here are the ones who need the books. I'm idealistically believing that this can turn into a neighborhood project and that people will watch out for it. Smile

P.S. Good idea about the senior center; I'll look around to see if there is any senior housing in the area that might be interested in the project.

Thanks.

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Syzygy, if you're trying to reach people who wouldn't normally otherwise have access to books, you might try to locate some literacy councils or volunteer groups that help teach reading to disadvantaged people.

I believe there's a literacy group affiliated with one of our local high schools, so you might contact grade or high schools in your area, depending on the level of the books.

Some libraries host book clubs. Even if there aren't duplicate copies of your books, the book club might accept the books just to share with members.

The VA hospitals also take books, but every time I've called to arrange for delivery I've been told they just received dozens of boxes of books, so they may have all they need.

You might also try assisted living centers; elders there might be more likely to read than ones in rehab centers or memory units.

Another option is an ESL group, perhaps at a community college or through adult ed programs in various communities.

It's a kind gesture you're making; I hope you find some grateful recipients.

Posts: 1964 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks for the suggestions. I've read about the work of a local literacy group; I'll do some more research and see what other groups are around.

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Some years ago I discovered a group that collected books to send overseas to youngsters in impoverished areas. I can't find any information I might have saved though so this would be another research project.

Another option is to send them to troops overseas. You'd probably have to spend some time winding your way through channels to find specific military groups or destinations, but perhaps a local VFW or American Legion post could help with the navigation.

Posts: 1964 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post