All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Outdoor Projects    bolt spins in plug
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

bolt spins in plug Sign In/Join 
        posted
        drilled holes 2 years ago, tried to tighten bolts today, discovered they spin in plug. Any idea how to tighten or remove so that we can insert new bolts? Its for a gazebo.

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by redsmom:
        drilled holes 2 years ago in concrete, tried to tighten bolts today, discovered they spin in plug. Any idea how to tighten or remove so that we can insert new bolts? Its for a gazebo.

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        what type of anchor did you put in the hole?
        what size hole did you drill? was it compatable with the anchor?
        DEPENDING on anchor type. use a 3' pry bar and pull it out. or.. beat it in DEPENDS on anchor type
        abandon hole and anchor, redo another set of holes

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I found that putting a coating of epoxy on the bolt before I hammer it into the hole, then give it 20 mins or so to set before I tighten makes it really solid. If you have to re-anchor, you might try that.

Posts: 15 | Registered: Dec 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        if it's not locked in place, pull it out. find a longer bolt in stainless steel if you can that is threaded all the way down and cut off the head, or get a piece of threaded redi-rod and the nuts to fit it.

fill the hole with 2-part construction-grade epoxy about halfway, insert the bolt, and work it up and down a bit to mix the epoxy as well as fill the whole hole around the bolt. if you are mixing it with some cement dust during that mixing, all the better.

now leave them for a day undisturbed, come back and put up the gazebo.

warning, danger, fattening, etc... this is NOT for holding stuff upside down (collapse in the Boston Big Dig tunnel, deaths) or taking side-load weight (seating collapse in stadium, injuries and one dead). this is for keeping your average little thunderstorm wind from tumbling the gazebo across lawns and into traffic.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5510 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post