All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Outdoor Projects    water drainage problem
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

water drainage problem Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I am new to this community so please let me know if I dont supply enough information. On the back of my house I have a concrete patio thats roughly 12'x10' thats completely uncovered. The rain is washing the dirt away at the end of the patio down a sloping hill. You can now see the bottom of the concrete patio and under it. Any ideas on how to fix this issue? I really don't have 3k to drop, but do want to fix this properly before the slab cracks. Please let me know if you need more photos. I plan on putting a small privacy fence wall on the end of the patio since I'm so high compared to the neighbors, so there will eventually be that there as well.

Apparently my photos are too big, but heres a link to them.

http://i16.photobucket.com/alb...5AE4_zps8bk8dbgw.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/alb...3BE1_zpsrpkrwxwy.jpg

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 19, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I would get some decent size gravel, in gravel I mean something like # 57 stone and place around the edge (6") to within 1-2" of the top of your pad. Then use soil on top tamped down. Slope the soil away from the top edge at least 18-24" out into the yard. Sow with grass seed and cover with straw. Once the grass is established the water from the pad will just flow on top of the grass out into the yard. It will also help you in maintaining your yard when mowing and help in trimming around the pad.

Depending on the amount that has been undermined you can tamp either stone or soil under the edge before you apply the remedy but I doubt that it is significant enough to warrant too much repairs at this point.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: redoverfarm,

Posts: 1786 | Location: Applachain | Registered: Feb 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        You could also create a decorative edge that would stop the under-slab erosion by installing landscape timbers within a couple of feet of the slab perimeter and fill with mulch, plantings or a gravel bed. Your problem is certainly not very bad at this point so even a small effort at containing the erosion should work.

BTW - Great first post. All the information needed and good pictures.

Jaybee

Posts: 10483 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of SturdyNail
        posted Hide Post
        Interesting that I have a fairly similar patio except for two things; the earth around it is flat and at the same level as the concrete so dirt tends to migrate onto the slab and my slab IS cracked.
        I'm wondering if your slab is a trip hazard. Maybe my kids and I are unusually clumsy, but I can picture us tripping nearly every time we move from the yard to the patio. If that is an issue, then you might keep that in mind as you plan a way to contain your concrete.

Posts: 350 | Location: Western NewYork | Registered: Jan 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post