DIY Message Boards
adding to a vinyl fence

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9321916776/m/5613950208

Mar 23, 2014, 06:52 PM
spydervicki
adding to a vinyl fence
Hi.
I need some help.. I need to add to our vinyl fence.. our dogs keep busting out the panels.. so we need to add to the bottom of the fence. but still want it to look nice and last. is there like vinyl flat 4x8 sheets that could be bought or would something else work.. We are planning on burying whatever we use at least a foot into the ground
Mar 23, 2014, 09:00 PM
swschrad
I don't think there is enough strength in the posts to hold back anything other than a Chihuahua if you put sheets onto them. adds enough windload that the wind might damage the posts.

I'd sink some steel fence posts, the ones with the "u" shape, and stretch rabbit wire between them.

we're surrounded by big (or athletic) dogs that jummp 4 foot cyclone fence, so I've got two neighbors now who have asked us if they can strap steel posts on our uprights and bend over fencing from them. frankly, I don't mind, it's doing the job and keeping the peace.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?
Mar 23, 2014, 11:35 PM
Jaybee
I agree that adding some kind of metal mesh fencing will be the best looking (as in most invisible) and probably the strongest. As a bonus, will probably cost the least too.

How large are the dogs? If they are strong enough to tear apart a vinyl fence then any vinyl additional parts are likely to be destroyed too. There is a vinyl lattice that could work, but at about $30 for a 4x8 sheet it could get pricey. And again, the dogs would likely eat it for lunch.

An alternate would be to either install a simple electrified wire right in front of the fence near ground level to deter them from getting close. Most likely it would only take a couple of shocks to train them to stay away. Or, install an invisible fence to do the same thing via a collar.

Jaybee
Mar 24, 2014, 07:48 PM
spydervicki
one is a husky and the other about the same size mix breed..
I want to use something that looks good but I feel safe I won't lose my dogs. I have the buried fence. but don't like leaving the collars on them constantly. but they do work . How would I attach a metal wire fence? to the post?
thanks for the hep
Mar 24, 2014, 10:21 PM
Jaybee
A wire fence could be attached to the existing vinyl posts - and could also be attached in-between to the vinyl planks. If the dogs are diggers, part of the wire can be buried and staked down.

If you already have invisible fencing, where is the zone (inside or outside the fence line)? If you can extend the zone to be just inside the fence, most dogs will learn to associate the visual of the fence with the limits of their zone and stay away - even with the collars off.

Jaybee