All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Outdoor Projects    Freestanding Deck with Roof
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Freestanding Deck with Roof Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I have a mobile home on private property. I want to build a freestanding deck with a roof, but have virtually no overhang. How should I go about this?

Posts: 7 | Registered: Jun 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I take it when you say "no overhang" you are referring to your mobile home. Since you are making it free standing you can cantilever the top over the trailer 12-18". That is providing that it is a shed roof design. Most trailers that I have seen have a real slight gutter system. It would take care of the water that normally would run off the roof and the cantilever would not affect it. I doubt that you would be able to attach the porch roof to the mobile home just for the mere fact of their design.

Posts: 1759 | Location: Applachain | Registered: Feb 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Hmmm, now to find a picture of what you're trying to say, lol.

posted Hide Post
        I couldn't really find any pictures of what it would end up looking like. Basicly a shed roof is just 1/2 of a gable roof. In your case it would just extend over the mobile home roof. Here are some examples of "shed roofs" maybe it will give you some ideas.

https://www.google.com/search?...sAQ&biw=1093&bih=433

This message has been edited. Last edited by: redoverfarm,

Posts: 1759 | Location: Applachain | Registered: Feb 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thank you!

Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        If this is a metal roofed home there's going to be a bunch of issues.
        There is no way to cantilever it as suggested. There's no shingles to weave in to stop it from leaking.
        The ledger has nothing solid to attach to.
        The ledger needs to be one size bigger then the joist so most often it keeps the door from being able to because of the ledger and the joists in the way.
        Going to have to also be a really low slopped roof, far more prone to leaking.
        With a shingled roof the new roof is started up in the middle of the house roof to gain height, slope and clearance.

joecaption

Posts: 18028 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I have a shingled roof but I think we're just going to do the deck without a roof. Really bums me out!

Picture of SturdyNail
        posted Hide Post
        How about a canopy, like this:

Posts: 301 | Location: Western NewYork | Registered: Jan 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of SturdyNail
        posted Hide Post
        or a retractable awning like this:

Posts: 301 | Location: Western NewYork | Registered: Jan 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Both very good ideas, but I wanted something year round. Upstate NY snow is horrid, lol. We're smokers who do not smoke in the home so wanted some kind of year round cover. Not to mention my love of porch swings and windchimes.

posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by joecaption:
        If this is a metal roofed home there's going to be a bunch of issues.
        There is no way to cantilever it as suggested. There's no shingles to weave in to stop it from leaking.
        The ledger has nothing solid to attach to.
        The ledger needs to be one size bigger then the joist so most often it keeps the door from being able to because of the ledger and the joists in the way.
        Going to have to also be a really low slopped roof, far more prone to leaking.
        With a shingled roof the new roof is started up in the middle of the house roof to gain height, slope and clearance.

Joe maybe you can enlighten me. The cantilever will be over the mobile home roof and not attached to the roof of the mobile home. There is no need to weave the shingles as they would be contained on the shed roof itself. The reason for the cantilever is just to keep the blowing rain out. Depending on the size of the deck you could still obtain at least a 3/12 pitch on an 8' deep deck. With an additional 1 step down you could probably even get a 10 deep deck. You can shingle or metal that pitch. Anything less would have to be rolled roof.

Free standing would not require anything to attach the ledger to except the support post which would then become a rim joist.

I think you may have missed the key wording in the original post "free standing" which changes the type of construction from conventional.

Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        I fully understand what a free standing deck is.
        Being a shingled roof on the home now is a good thing.
        Now the new and old roofs can be tied in together so the waters not going to run down the roof and end up on the deck.
        Google "shed style roof framing detail" there's lot of pictures of how to tie the two roofs together.
        In your area the steeper you can make that roof the better.
        Going over sized on the rafters and adding a knee wall at the lower edge of the old roof will help support the new roof.
        Almost every DIY shed style roof I've ever seen they try and just attach it to the fascia.
        Sure way to have it leak, not enough slope, and not strong enough.
        Sort of like this.
        http://www.bing.com/images/sea...C994&selectedIndex=9

This message has been edited. Last edited by: joecaption,

joecaption

Posts: 18028 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thank you all for your input. I appreciate all the help and tips!!! Smile

posted Hide Post
        Sometimes you people tickle me.?????

http://www.sunsetdecks.org/MobileHomes.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ron45,

Posts: 837 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thank you!!!