All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Outdoor Projects    Deck Ledger Question
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Deck Ledger Question Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I am re-doing my deck as most of it had dry rot, including the ledger board. The ledger board is flat against the house attached over a 1 inch facia board with lag bolts into the structure. The lag bolts go through the ledger and facia board into structure. The deck is raised and attached to the house. There is a sliding door to the deck. There was no z flashing or flashing behind the ledger board originally. I believe the deck is original to the house built in 1998. My question, do I need to take of the facia boards off, add flashing or can I attach it to the house again as before?

Here is a few more photos

https://picasaweb.google.com/1...B5gE&feat=directlink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhawk4ever,

Posts: 3 | Registered: Feb 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        You could do it just like it was done before - and you'd get the same rotted deck results a few years down the road.

It it not a good thing to attach a deck ledger directly to the house, even though it is done frequently. The best way is to have a free standing deck that is only attached to the house in a few points to add strength and stability. You can also attach the ledger but use large washers (1" rings of PVC pipe can work well for this) that will hold the ledger off the house and eliminate the space that holds water. Finally, if you are dead-set on attaching the ledger to the house you can minimize future rot damage by flashing. You'll need a flashing that goes up under the house siding and protrudes out past the front edge of the ledger - usually a preformed 3" x 3" channel will do the trick. You could also use a rubber flashing like a 45 mil roofing product. But yes, you do need to work the flashing up underneath the house siding to allow the flashing to do it's job correctly.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jaybee,

Jaybee

Posts: 10417 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I have seen a special plastic spacer used between the ledger and the foundation (on Holmes) but I suspect you can accomplish the same thing with a piece of PVC lumber behind the ledger. best to bolt to structure, not lag it, you will need to have some pieces of vinyl tubing or PVC pipe between the bolts and the PT lumber to prevent electrolytic corrosion. a lot of "stainless steel" bolts are not resistant enough.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5811 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Jaybee, thanks for the response. We have a slab patio under the deck with a sliding door so not having more posts would be good for the space below. I like the idea of having more support though and not relying on the structure of the house.

I also really like the idea of using a spacer in between. Need to check my local code to see what is allowed. I agree If I don't use flashing, I will be revisiting this again in 10-15 years.

Thanks again.

quote:
        Originally posted by Jaybee:
        You could do it just like it was done before - and you'd get the same rotted deck results a few years down the road.

It it not a good thing to attach a deck ledger directly to the house, even though it is done frequently. The best way is to have a free standing deck that is only attached to the house in a few points to add strength and stability. You can also attach the ledger but use large washers (1" rings of PVC pipe can work well for this) that will hold the ledger off the house and eliminate the space that holds water. Finally, if you are dead-set on attaching the ledger to the house you can minimize future rot damage by flashing. You'll need a flashing that goes up under the house siding and protrudes out past the front edge of the ledger - usually a preformed 3" x 3" channel will do the trick. You could also use a rubber flashing like a 45 mil roofing product. But yes, you do need to work the flashing up underneath the house siding to allow the flashing to do it's job correctly.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Feb 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post