All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Outdoor Projects    Outdoor Deck - Waterproofing
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Outdoor Deck - Waterproofing Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I am building a small home deck. I have a question on waterproofing. I am using new wood from home depot. With Behr waterproof color stain. The deck will be in direct sun all day. I can (or should I) apply a coat of Thompsons Water Seal after applying the Color stain? Or is the Behr enough? Also I plan to re-stain every other year or so.
        Thank you Bill Booth

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: Jul 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        If it is a Behr deck stain product then it will already have a waterproofer mixed in with it so there is no need to add a coat of Thompsons right away. However, with direct sunlight all day long means that any treatment you do to your deck will leach away fairly quickly. One advantage of water seal is that it's easy to apply - just use a pump up sprayer and you can seal most decks in just a few minutes. While water seal is not as durable as a heavier bodied deck stain, adding it periodically will help your stain last longer. So go ahead and plan to add some water seal, but give it a month or so after staining. Two or three applications of water seal over spring/summer/fall should help the deck last longer and look better.

BTW - Don't be surprised if you see a LOT of shrinkage, especially at any butt joints in the decking. Home Depot PT material has a pretty high moisture content - build a deck with it that is in sunlight most of the day and it's going to dry out and shrink.

Jaybee

Posts: 10111 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Jaybee, thank you so very much for your response. This was over and above what I expected. I am excited to get my summer project started.
        Thanks again for helping a "novice"
        Bill

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: Jul 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post