All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Outdoor Projects    replace old soffit
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

replace old soffit Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I have a pre-1900 home with wood soffits and facia. The soffits are sloped with the rafters instead of the more modern flat. All the wood is starting to rot and crumble and there is no venting for the roof so every winter I end up with a good 6"+ of ice buildup at the eves.
        I am planning on replacing the 20yr old shingle roof with anodized aluminum to resemble black slate. Should I wait until I do the roof to redo the facia and soffit or can they be done seperately? How would I go about doing the facia and soffits? I know the old wood facia needs to be removed and replaced.

Posts: 12 | Location: Barryton, MI | Registered: Sep 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        The roof replacement and the soffit repair can be done at separate times - I would do the soffit / facia repairs first because you may have some rafter tail repairs to do. Also, the facia will be in direct contact with the new roofing so better to get everything underneath in good condition before adding the new roof.

As far as going about it: Your first part will be demo and exploration to see exactly what needs to be repaired. Assuming from your description that you have too many damaged areas for minor spot repairs, the first step is to remove all the existing facia and soffit material. If the damage goes deep, you will likely find some damaged rafter tails the need to be either replaced of sistered. Then, you can install new facia, soffit and any other trim needed.

For venting, go with a split soffit with a 2" continuous soffit vent. If you want a look that stays more to period you may want to use multiple individual soffit vents rather than the continuous style.

Don't forget to add adequate roof venting on the top end when you do get around to re-roofing.

Jaybee

Posts: 10483 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I have baffling I plan on installing between every rafter. Since its a 2 story house and the 2nd floor attic tends to get quite hot I want to make sure it gets vented. When the new roof goes on it will have a continuous ridge vent running east to west and each dormer (1 north and 1 south) will have a ridge vent running accordingly as well.
        The current facia and soffit are beyond spot repair. I already figured there would be added repairs to the rafters and have accounted for that. Only problem I can see having is the current soffit is attached to the rafters following the slop all the way around. Do I need to reframe to make it flat or can I keep it sloped?

Posts: 12 | Location: Barryton, MI | Registered: Sep 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        You can keep is sloped - that will match the original look of the house better anyway.

Jaybee

Posts: 10483 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Whats the best way to do the soffits on a dormer where it meets the main roof?