All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Outdoor Projects    My first mistake and how to correct it
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

My first mistake and how to correct it Sign In/Join 
        posted
        So I measured and poured all the concrete and set the brackets in sonotube for my 6" posts.

Because of the slope of my yard, I was just planning on cutting the posts to the appropriate height and leveling everything with those.

Well, it turns out that I poured 2 of my brackets too high. When I level out where I'm supposed to cut the posts so that the beam rests on top, the beam on the high slope would only be about 3" tall. This is only enough to put 1 bolt through.

I think that perhaps the best solution here would be to bolt the beam onto the post instead of setting it on top. That way, my post is another 12-ish inches higher and I can properly bolt it to the bracket.

I know this isn’t going to give quite as much structure as if they were on top, but I’m wondering if anybody had any other advice for me?

Would lag bolts be sufficient or would I need to bolt all the way through? Would I need to double 2x12 each side?

Posts: 15 | Registered: Dec 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        It would be nice to have a picture of your situation. But if I'm seeing it right, -- I prefer to use bolt through fastening, then as the lumber dries and shrinks you can tighten them back up.

I doubt you need to double board both sides, but what you need to do and what size of wood to use depends on the spans and the kind of wood you're using. Google 'deck spans' or something like that, and you should be able to get the figures on what your area and species of wood will allow.

And instead of double board one side, consider using one board on each side of the post, and using Simpson hardware to help support them; or notch out the posts to receive each board and then bolt through.

How far apart you have the sonotubes and your other spans will dictate what size of framing members you need to use. Or maybe you need to add more sonotubes.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Re-mdlr,

Posts: 879 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks for the tips.

I had an epiphany last night as I was thinking about this.

Instead of placing the joists on top of the girder, I'll make the girder the same height as the ledger and use joist hangers to attach them.

My deck is 23' long, so it will be spanning 2 sets of girders. The first set is raised much higher than the 2nd set, so I can rest the joists on top of the 2nd ones and cantilever them while using joist hangers on the middle set.

Posts: 15 | Registered: Dec 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post