All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Outdoor Projects    Outdoor laundry room?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Outdoor laundry room? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I would like our laundry room to somehow be outside our back door, under a roof, but i'm wondering what would happen in the freezing weather - temps here get as low as -10 and rarely -20 F. Would the water in the lines of the washer break? Would the dryer still turn? What are the potential problems I could run into?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vishvanaar,

vishvanaar

Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Disaster to put it lightly. Since 32F is the freezing point of water. I wouldn't even consider this as an option. Washers have pumps and they are expensive. I think I would look elsewhere for a location within the heated area of the house.

Posts: 1759 | Location: Applachain | Registered: Feb 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Probably the first problem you would need to address is that the person doing the laundry is going to be the first thing to freeze. In -10 degree Farenheit temps, without factoring in wind chill and even if bundled in Arctic clothing, a person can only tolerate a limited amount of time in the weather. Why would you want to subject yourself (or your husband or wife?) to that kind of extreme weather?

But why would you want an outdoor laundry room in the first place? You'll have to run plumbing outside, find some way to protect the lines from freezing, connect it to the drain system, etc.

I'm not even sure local codes would allow an outdoor laundry room.

What's your reasoning for this, or is it just a teaser to see if someone believes you?

Posts: 1923 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        OP must be joking, right???

I stayed with a friend outside Phoenix once, that had a washer/dryer in a utility building out in the backyard. Was not impressed with the location at all. But this was Arizona.

Posts: 6884 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Pros and Cons:

Pro:

1. Gives you more room in the house

Con:

1. No laundry possible anytime the thermometer dips below freezing.
        2. After each thaw, time to buy a new washer.

Nope, just not a good idea. Now, if you could make this area weather tight and heated, then it would work. But only then.

Jaybee

Posts: 10345 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by Conrad:
        OP must be joking, right???

That's what I thought - a joke or a bait to see who bites.

I can understand an outdoor laundry in a hot area like Phoenix, especially for a dryer, although I would just hang clothes outside and let nature take care of that task.

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by Jaybee:

Con:

1. No laundry possible anytime the thermometer dips below freezing.
        2. After each thaw, time to buy a new washer.

Reminds me of a book I read years ago titled "We Like it Wild", (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/682215.We_Like_It_Wild) documenting the saga of a husband and wife who moved to the Canadian wilderness and a very primitive but for them satisfying lifestyle.

I don't recall all the details but I do remember that Chinooks were very desirable because the wife could run outside and quickly do their accumulated laundry.

So all the OP would have to get used to is only doing laundry when it's above freezing. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

posted Hide Post
        Even if you could solve the weather problem, who would want to keep running outside to do laundry. NOT ME.......
        Listen to all the people complaining about running from one end of the house to the other, up and down steps, etc..
        I know some who would rather hang their clothes outside to dry, but to do the whole 9 yards outside.?

Posts: 837 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        if the temperatures go that low i would suggest to keep it indoors. The water is most probably going to freeze in the pipes and if it is so cold, would you dare to go outside to do the laundry?

Posts: 4 | Registered: Mar 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post