All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Outdoor Projects    Shed foundation in very wet soil
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Shed foundation in very wet soil Sign In/Join 
        posted
        And I do mean really wet. I can drive a 1/2 inch piece of rebar a good 30 inches into the soil by just pushing on it.

I back filled and built a shed in the location years ago. Unfortunately I did not back fill quite enough and when the rains come the shed floods. I've decided to tear down and start over.

I'm considering constructing a frame from treated 4x6's and that will raise the surface up a good foot or so. I'm thinking of filling the frame with crushed limestone and then building the shed atop the stone. One reason I think this may be the way to go is there will be nowhere for animals to live beneath the shed. If I were to pour concrete pads and build the structure on posts there would be a large gap that would give animals plenty of room to move in beneath.

I believe this plan should work, but if anyone has any experience, or theories, to the contrary I'd be interested to hear.

Thanks.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        I am going back and forth on what to say about this one. On one hand, thinking of soft, wet soil I want to advise that you dig down to solid earth to make a solid foundation.

Then, the little contractor on my other shoulder says, "It's just a shed, lighten up will ya".

So it's a matter of spreading the load so that it doesn't sink into the soft soil. What about a shed-sized slab, then raise it up on piers to get above flooding and then make a solid skirt to keep the critters out?

The other way would be to do a mono-pour raised slab that will do double duty as both footers and flooring, but this will be more expensive.

For a different approach, is there any way to install drainage that will let this area dry out?

Jaybee

Posts: 10103 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post