All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Outdoor Projects    The porch that went bad
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

The porch that went bad Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I am a new homeowner who is interested in help for a deck addition that is leaking into the house at the door entrance. It is leaking into the basement and the floor is rotting away under the doorsill. This is all part of a rather embarrassing oversight on my part and I need help on repairing it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ola1013,

Leaking inside

Posts: 7 | Registered: Jun 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        It will help if you post some more information and a better pic. It sounds like you may have made two major mistakes - Attaching the deck directly to the house and building the deck too high in relation to the house.

The bad news is that there are no easy fixes for this without a major rebuild of the entire deck.

Jaybee

Posts: 10130 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I did not build the porch, it was an addition the last owner did and in the inspection it was passed up as being "fine". Now I see that the entire deck has to be dismantled and rebuilt because of it's lack of support and planning. The picture presented is at the door leading out onto the porch and where I have had to lay plastic to keep the water from seeping into the basement.The plastic wraps under the door jam and the flooring is extremely crumbled and wet.

Door seal at porch

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Yup, the deck is too high. Putting the deck at the same level as the house flooring just about guarantees that you will get water damage. No amount of flashing or sealing will fix this, sadly your only course of action will be to rebuild the deck at a slightly lower level.

Jaybee

Posts: 10130 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        We all know what damage can be done and what it looks like in side. Anyone that knows codes never would have built it like that.
        We need pictures from outside if you want more suggestions on how to fix it.
        No close ups. needed.

joecaption

Posts: 17995 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Hi Ola1013,

The information you have received so far is quite accurate and is made by very knowledgeable individuals.

As to the type of pictures needed, several should be taken and posted to show the present deck as well as the house so it is possible to see the size of the deck, how the deck is situated in relation to the house, the exterior surfaces of the house and foundation as well as to where the deck is attached to the house in relation to the foundation and wooden structural members of the house. You might also post pictures of how the deck is supported, i.e. is foundation and structural supports.

You might need a total of 6 or more pictures, and the easiest way to post all of them all here in one message would be to post all your pictures at a Free Site such as that at http://www.photobucket.com where you can create a free account and upload all your pictures. Then return to this site and start a new message or reply to a meassage and in your message post links to your photos at photobucket.com . In this way all your photos may be seen and a much more detailed account of the various steps or recommendations can be made for you to consider.

From what you are describing it sounds like water is flowing across your deck to the door. It has gone under the door jamb, entered the flooring and if left over time it will rot out all wooden structural below including the sill plate, floor joists, header joist, and subfloor. This will lead to a very costly repair to correct all that could be damaged. This damage will occur so long as the present deck is allowed to exist in its present state without making major changes to correct the problem it causes.

Others may have additional suggestions.

Good Luck!

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        This by far is one of the most common building 101 mistakes I see by far.
        Most local building codes call at least a 4" step down some are even lower.
        This one mistake has made my company ten's of thousands of dollars over the years.
        Every homeowner I've ever built a deck for always says they want it even with the threshold.

joecaption

Posts: 17995 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Ola, did you have an inspection performed before you purchased the house, and if so:

(1) Was checking for obvious water leaks in the work scope of the inspection? and

(2) Was the porch leak discovered and addressed?

From your description, it seems pretty apparent that the leak issue would be obvious in an inspection and should have been covered.

Another thought is to contact your homeowners' insurance agent and inquire whether any portion of the damage remediation might be covered. If it's a pre-existing condition, I don't think it would be, but it's worth a try.

Good luck.

Posts: 1740 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Unfortunately I did not secure a proper inspector and the remediation was not a thought in my mind. I will look into it. Thank you.

posted Hide Post
        I will post more pics very soon!! Thank you all.

posted Hide Post
        Though it is not your fault, still you are suffering. Find out the solution quickly with the help of a local contractor to avoid further damage.
        And let us know about it.

Posts: 14 | Registered: Jun 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Here is a pic and I am gaining more information about this project I plan to take on, thank you all. I have attached a link as well of a few other pi Porch Photos cs

porch attachment

Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        A deck built like is 100% sure way to end up with wall and subflooring damage.

joecaption

posted Hide Post
        The previous homeowner did it more out of rush than consideration so my question now is, how do I rectify this until I can completely get it fixed.