All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Outdoor Projects    Adult Swing Build
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Adult Swing Build Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I found the attached picture off of Facebook & I've been on your website for over an hour trying to find information on building this structure. Can you please let me know if you have any information on this structure that supports 5 adult swings in a octagon style shape?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 30, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I see a 4x4 timber frame, angle steel over the swing areas to reinforce them but not over the entrance, a 2x4 overhead cross-brace. those posts appear to be directly embedded in concrete, and covered by gravel. the rockers are overlap joints top to base, 800 or 1000# chain. I don't see detail of the jointing at the top, hopefully it's complex miter cutouts and construction adhesive as well as log-house type lagscrews.

from what's there, doing a little modelling with scuzwood to get the jointing down, I could probably build that off the picture. this is about the third time this picture has been posted, and I suspect it's a custom job done for one customer.

figure it's a (generally code) 3-foot fire ring insert, and calculate dimensions from that.

wild guess... 5 to 8 grand to have that built by a landscape firm.

// edit // I still can't decide whether that's 4x4 or 6x6 timbers. I wouldn't try it with 4x4s myself, too much possible load for my taste. and that's a hexagon, 6 sides.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5712 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Those are 6x6's with 2x6 bracing laying flat across the top. No steel, nor is it needed as 6x6 is more than enough for that span. Looks like the top joint work is simple angle cuts where each header is supported by half the surface area of the top of the 6x6.

Agree on the pricing estimate.

Jaybee

Posts: 10289 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        check the color change, Jaybee... there is definitely big angle iron across the swing sides on top. I can see it overlapping the timbers. I suspect somebody never wanted any pull-through on the hardware, and went for overkill. some 6x6 plates would have done it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

Posts: 5712 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        You have a better monitor or better eyes than I (or perhaps both). I can see the ends of the eye bolts holding the chains poking up through the tops of the horizontals. Also notice a slight line running longways across the top - wondering if those top "6x6's" are actually built up from smaller stock.

If I were to put any steel plates up there, it would be to overlap all those 30 degree angle cuts at each post-top joint.

Jaybee

Posts: 10289 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I believe the post are 4x4's all facing the same direction and spaced 6' OC around the perimeter.
        The seats are 4' wide and evenly spaced using the chain.
        This would make the center of the structure a rectangle and not a square, 6' x 9' OC.
        At the center line of the rectangle 4.5 ft. and out 4ft. represents the OC of the outer post.
        The up right post are in the ground securing the bottom of the structure. The 4x4's across the top brings it all into alignment and offers curb appeal while the 1x4's locks it all in.
        Just my opinion.....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ron45,

Posts: 827 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        One thing we can tell from the pics is scale. If the posts are 4x4's then the entire structure is 55" high with a 48" space between posts. If they are 6x6's, then the height is 86" with a 75" clear space. I'm staying with 6x6.

For the OP: What to do if you want one of these will depend on your building skills. If you have the skills to make this structure, you can easily make your own final design and plan from this picture. If not, then any professional carpenter type can do so. It's a good, solid design - as long as it's anchored securely and constructed of the right sized materials, it will work.

Jaybee

posted Hide Post
        two to three grand for the materials, five to eight including labor. six kick-donkey holes for anchoring. placing the uprights at the right angles during the pour, straight and plumb. getting the top beams up there, cut, without waste.

those are the hard parts. the parts that take experience and good help.

if you have it, get cracking, I'd like to have one, too. with a cupola top so you can use it in a drizzle (not with wood burning, however, choke ya out.)

if this is your idea of a first significant project, heh, call Renovation Realities up on the home page "Be On DIY." sparkling good fun to watch :-D