All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Outdoor Projects    Wife paid $900 to replace 5 roof vent boots...here is the work
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Wife paid $900 to replace 5 roof vent boots...here is the work Sign In/Join 
        posted

Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        that's not really a vent boot. What it really is, is a device to store empty caulking tubes
        My advise is to get another roofer who knows what he is doing, Though I don't know where you live, I'm sure it wont cost another $500

Posts: 2541 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        OK, First off - you got shafted (but I think you already know that)

On the install:

1. The ideal install is to have the upper shingles overlap to the half-way point. In your case, they should have cut into one more row of shingles to have those shingles fit around the boot to the half-way point.

2. The only caulking needed should be where the curved edge of the cut shingles wrap around the edges of the raised part of the boot and a dab of sealant on the tops of any exposed nails.

3. Speaking of nails ....What the heck! These flanges use 4 to 6 nails. There are even little embossed circles telling the installer where to nail. Every exposed nail on a roof is a potential problem. There is no reason for this many nails - pretty much proof positive that whoever did this is a rank amateur.

Pricing - $900??? Only if you had them come out in the middle of the night in the middle of a torrential rainstorm to fix this. The reality: The boots are $5 each. Toss in some nails, caulk and some mark-up for profit and you are looking at maybe a $70 material bill at most. If they are billing out a premium for roofing work, lets round up and call it $50/hour for labor. And to be fair, maybe it's one of those companies that has a minimum travel and set-up charge - $65.

So, two hours labor = $100 + 65 + 70 = $235. And that's really being generous. For starters, a $50 per hours guy damn well better know how to install a simple boot - this guy didn't. Even rounding up to $300 still means that they charged you triple.

I'd be making a few calls. This isn't a just a bad company, this if fraud. Start with finding out if your guy had a license - if he does than make a complaint with the licensing board in your state. If he's not licensed things will be harder. You can do a BBB complaint but that really means nothing to guys like this.

If it were me I'd call the guy directly and explain simple phrases like 'Class D felony" and what it means to his future. But that's just me.

But I will add this: If they did more than just install 5 boots to existing plumbing vents - like add in some vent lines in the attic etc. Then you could easily cost a lot more.

On edit to add: If you paid by check - stop payment now. If by credit card, call your cc company to cancel the charges. Also see if you can file a fraud complaint with your local police - this will help cover you to back up a stop payment order.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jaybee,

Jaybee

Posts: 10347 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I would have charged $475.00. It would be less but one side of roof is more then your standard pitch.
        I cover the boots completely with the shingle ( no nails showing) and paint the pipe.
        No caulk is needed.
        Black jack is used to reseal shingles.

I don't get on any roof for less then $300.00

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ron45,

Posts: 841 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        This is what a properly installed vent should look like.
        http://www.bing.com/images/sea...E08&selectedIndex=23

Your shingles look pretty old so in your case if the old boots where leaking at the seal I would have just used a slip on repair seal so not to have to disturb the shingles. Could have done your whole roof in less then the time to set the ladder.
        http://www.ezeeboot.com/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: joecaption,

joecaption

Posts: 18028 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by ron45:
        I would have charged $475.00. It would be less but one side of roof is more then your standard pitch.
        I cover the boots completely with the shingle ( no nails showing) and paint the pipe.
        No caulk is needed.
        Black jack is used to reseal shingles.

I don't get on any roof for less then $300.00

I like your idea about painting the PVC. You could even match to some degree the new color with the shingles. Big Grin

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1450 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I don't know about the big box home improvement stores, but a regular roofing supply store sells cans of spray paint to match the roofing they sell, it works good for the pipe and any metal on the roof

Posts: 961 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post