All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Outdoor Projects    Backyard and snakes
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Backyard and snakes Sign In/Join 
        posted
        We bought our home 2 years ago and luckily someone did a little landscaping BUT they didn't do so well on the deck/patio I

It's ugly and we have to buy a gazebo with mosquito netting so we can even attempt to enjoy our backyard. Worse yet is snakes cottonmouth copperheads pygmy rattlesnakes and a few more venomous snakes and then there are the safe but scary ones. It is a nice fenced in yard for my 5 dogs but lo7rdy I sweat bu
        llets just thinking of the snakes. I had this be a beautiful picture in my head . Of this backyard that has azaleas, gardenas and pine trees, pine straw is not my favorite but what can you do. I so wanted a type of water feature , not gonna happen with these snakes it was to be a nice serene yard as I have a spinal cord injury and have some trouble. How can I get rid of the snakes mosquitos and the snake food of moles. Eek Eek I sure hope you can give me some suggestions.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tami B,

Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        First step is to get rid of all the rodents (re: snake food). This may require poison to get the job done. Big thing there is to keep the dogs away from poison and tainted rodents while the kill process is going on. If you get rid of the snake food source, they will eventually go away.

There are snake repellants available at Lowe's and other outdoor places. Not sure how well they work but there are lots of different types.

Finally do some fill in work to block all those temping places for both rodents and snakes.

Considering the venomous nature of your problem, calling in a professional varmet remover may be the best and overall least expensive way to go.

Jaybee

Posts: 10500 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        You might try citronella candles to keep the mosquitoes at bay. I've never had that much of a problem except in the raspberry bushes, but I recall that we used citronella when I was a child and it worked.

As to the snakes, if they're really that bad and numerous, I'd agree that a pro should be called in to take care of them, and also determine where they're coming from and where they're nesting.

Good luck.

Posts: 1979 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Products like "Snake Away" only work on a limited species of snakes and is nothing more then Moth Balls at 4 times or more the price. (read the main ingredients on the labels)
        First thing I would do is loose the pine straw and replace it with something like cedar mulch or pine bark nuggets to get rid of the possible nesting area for mice and snakes.
        Spreading a grub killer on the lawn should help kill off the main food source for the moles.
        Really not much an exterminator can do about snakes in an open area to repel them unless they happen to be there and see one.

joecaption

Posts: 18046 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I've had a couple of copperheads in our yard. One was in my flower bed and I found it as I was reaching to pull a weed out. That was a Steve Irwin "aw cricky" moment. Best thing to do is keep your grass cut, don't wonder around in barefeet and look carefully before pulling weeds in flower beds.

I'm not a fan of pinestraw. It is very common here in North Carolina. Reason to hate it: it is very flammable, our Scouts are always trying to use it as tinder when making fires while camping. There have been several spectacular fires in the Raleigh area when pine straw caught fire, and burned the vinyl siding on a townhouse, the fire went up the walls, into the attic and took out several complete rows of townhomes in one fire.

In my natural areas I use leaves from my yard and from my neighbor's yards for mulch. Around the house I use hardwood bark mulch. I like pine bark nuggets but they float away. They are OK if your yard is relatively flat, Mine is not.

A friend lives on a wooded lot and has their two Huskies in a enclosed area in the yard. They have both survived copperhead bites. Benadryl is the first line of defense when their dog gets bitten. The dogs are actually pretty good at dispatching copperheads without getting bit.

I compost in an enclosed commercial bin, my compost is mainly kitchen scraps and I haven't had a rodent problem with the bin at all. The key is to bury the kitchen scraps in the semi-finished compost rather than dumping and running.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 900 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        obviously, not all the snakes are coming out of one nest. bait mice would work assuming the dogs were kept inside for a bit. on this batch of snakes.

you want dark mulch, gets too hot for them in the day (but never cocoa bean mulch with dogs, it's poison to them.) the old "spread hemp rope" nonsense won't work, so I'm glad nobody popped up with that. absolutely put mouse baits down the holes, and pour in pea gravel behind the baits.

instead of dogs, how about mongooses (mongeese?) as pets? they eat cobras, maybe they can develop a taste for corals and cottonmouths.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5866 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I do live in North Carolina but in the Greenville area. I have had people who.want pine straw come and rake it up and they take it home but this is really my first year to garden I was lounging in the hospital when we first bought the house. We have the chain link fence and so far we have found the snakes hanging there or have found the skin they shed. We have some neighborhood cats that may help too with the moles (what do I put in the holes to.kill them?) Now one more question currently we have a redwood deck that is flush against the ground would it be better to.replace that or put something like pavers or something like that and no wood? I really do appreciate the advice o

Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I am going to try out a "tomcat" fake worm product, since I haven't had any luck taking out moles with gassers or spring traps. there is a Sweeney's product that looks like rat pellets and smells like the dumpster at a chemical plant... the moles just pushed that stuff up with another mound of dirt, and I don't blame them. moles eat meat, and prefer their grubs live. you could dust the lawn with Sevin, but shouldn't put the pets out on that until after a good hard rain and a couple days. it will also take out worms and similar things like centipedes.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5866 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I had to relocate a baby copperhead that moved into our garage today. He was only about 8" long and the diameter of a pencil. I swept him into a 5 gallon bucket and relocated him across the collector road behind my house to some woods. Hopefully he'll find his way to the creek at the bottom of the hill. I couldn't bring myself to kill the little guy.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 900 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post