DIY Message Boards
hard plumbing to garden

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9321916776/m/2933996967

Apr 13, 2013, 11:58 AM
Dazed
hard plumbing to garden
I currently have roughly 75'-100' feet of hose running along a fence line out to our garden to a hose reel. I'm tired of repairing said hose when it gets ran over by a mower...not me....

So I was thinking of running underground PVC piping out to there. I plan to put a air line hook up on one end to purge the line before winter.

1. How deep do I need to bury pipe (6" to 8" plenty?)?

2. Should I put sand or something else under the pipe for when ground settles?

3. Is regular white PVC ok and what size you recommend (3/4, 1"?)?

THANKS for any help!
Apr 13, 2013, 02:07 PM
Re-mdlr
It doesn't show what part of the country you're from on the post, -- in some parts, you don't need to purge the water. But the depth you have in mind should work, no need for sand, unless you're around very rocky soil, and regular white pvc should work fine. As for size, 3/4 should work fine also, but that depends on much water you need to deliver to that spot, and how many branch offs you use from there. That's up to you to design the system.
Apr 18, 2013, 03:16 PM
DaleCannedy
So is there any alternative method to percolate water into the earth? I wonder it may favorably works for us.

education technology

Dale G Cannedy
Apr 18, 2013, 06:46 PM
Jaybee
There is a black plastic line commonly used for for main water lines from meter to house. 1" diameter and comes in 100' or 250' rolls. Cheaper than schedule 40 PVC and will not have any joints except fittings on the ends.

Jaybee
Apr 18, 2013, 08:03 PM
Sparky617
quote:
Originally posted by DaleCannedy:
So is there any alternative method to percolate water into the earth? I wonder it may favorably works for us.

And a hearty welcome to our newest spammer. Nonsensical post and link, how original.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Apr 29, 2013, 01:29 PM
Dazed
I live in Ohio, so we see all types of weather.....all together in any given day. I'm not too concerned about freezing EXCEPT in spring, after that water line has been used, where we still can see freezing temps at nights (usually no lower than 20deg F). I still plan to blow the water out every fall just as I do now using a garden hose, but the lazy part of me would like it if I didn't need to worry bout this.
Apr 30, 2013, 09:00 AM
joecaption
Use Pex and not have to worry about it.

joecaption