All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Outdoor Projects    Ideas to improve look of concrete patio slab
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Ideas to improve look of concrete patio slab Sign In/Join 
        posted
        When I purchased my home, it had a concrete slab which, unnoticed by me when I viewed the home, was not even close to being level (almost 3" from house to edge of pad) I closed on the house but was settling an estate in another state and did not move in for a couple of months. At my request, my realtor hired a general contractor (both licensed and insured) to build a screened in porch for me. Long story short, I ended up with a beautiful, tile floor (most of which popped up after a couple of months) covered screened in porch that gave me vertigo every time I went out to use it. $$$ wasted. Also, the contractor had failed to notice the natural gas line for a grill and had enclosed it inside the structure making it unusable. Following this fiasco, I hired another licensed contractor to level the pad. This resulted in a somewhat level pad (but not smooth) and was painted with some kind of stain (ugly). Now the pad has cracks running from front to back and side to side. More $$$ wasted. Can anyone give me any ideas to salvage this mess? I can't afford to tear it down and start over which is what it really needs, but would like to be able to do something to at least make it look like something other than a covered, cracked, concrete pad. Thanks.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Sep 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        It is not unusual for the pad to have a pitch to allow water to drain off and away from the house but 3" does seem a little extensive. Have you considered using a vinyl plank flooring w/waterproof glue. It comes in a variety of colors. The cracks unless they are in an area of thin concrete should pose no problem structurally.

There are also companies which overlay a synthetic product often used around pools that you can get in a variety of colors.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Applachain | Registered: Feb 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        You don't list your location. I'd be concerned that the slab doesn't have footings if you have any freezing weather. You could get movement in the slab and cause a failure in the connection between the screened porch and the house.

Was this thing permitted and inspected?

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 888 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks. I'll look into both of these ideas.
        quote:
        Originally posted by redoverfarm:
        It is not unusual for the pad to have a pitch to allow water to drain off and away from the house but 3" does seem a little extensive. Have you considered using a vinyl plank flooring w/waterproof glue. It comes in a variety of colors. The cracks unless they are in an area of thin concrete should pose no problem structurally.

There are also companies which overlay a synthetic product often used around pools that you can get in a variety of colors.

posted Hide Post
        I'm in Knoxville, TN. Yes, a permit was issued for the building of the screened-in porch and footers were poured for the posts. Unsure about the preparation for the original concrete pad. We have very few days of below freezing weather here so I think I'm OK on that point. Thanks for your post (and good sense of humor).
        quote:
        Originally posted by Sparky617:
        You don't list your location. I'd be concerned that the slab doesn't have footings if you have any freezing weather. You could get movement in the slab and cause a failure in the connection between the screened porch and the house.

Was this thing permitted and inspected?

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        My first thought was the vinyl plank flooring too. Sounds like the overpour is fairly thin causing the surface cracking. As you said, the real fix is to start over again but that is not a practical solution. So the next best thing is to cover the concrete - vinyl planks, tile or (I can't believe I'm actually about to type this) indoor/outdoor carpet.

It's normal for a slab to have a 1/4" per foot pitch for drainage so if your slab was 12' wide then the 3" drop is just about right.

Jaybee

Posts: 10477 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        At the moment more moderators/monitors are needed. Perhaps the webmaster will allow some of the legitimate members of the forum to help with that task, at least temporarily.

Posts: 20 | Location: Clarksville, TN | Registered: Dec 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post