All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Outdoor Projects    Advice on securing swing set
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Advice on securing swing set Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hello all. I bought a swing set last year, and at first is was extremely "wobbly" with both girls swinging. See the picture (https://www.flickr.com/gp/54470544@N08/3932v3) for an idea of what the entire swing set looks like. So, I quickly decided last your to anchor it down a bit. I anchored both side of the "A" end with 2x4's in about 10-12 inches of cement. I also anchored the front right side of the "playhouse" area next to the ladder (https://www.flickr.com/gp/54470544@N08/Vp9ZqW). Lastly, I used a 4x4 buried into about 10-12" of cement to secure the middle of the swing (https://www.flickr.com/gp/54470544@N08/Fhs0RV).

I noticed that this year it is a little "wobbly" again. Any thoughts or ideas of how or where I can brace/anchor this down a little more? I don't have a fear of the falling apart or turning over so much as I don't want it to appear so to visitors. Smile

Thanks ahead of time!

Posts: 41 | Registered: Jan 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        I assume you don't have sandy soil?

Am I also correct in assuming that the A frame on the left isn't mirrored on the right but that the right side is attached to the playhouse?

And are all of the ends wobbly or is it only the end attached to the playhouse?

Posts: 1964 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        GardenSprite,

You are correct that it is only A-Frame on one end and connects to the "playhouse" by a beam made of two 2x4s. And it is really just the playhouse side that sways.

posted Hide Post
        For one thing, you are not using large enough washers on both sides of the bolts. You could buy some nice decorative ones, paint them and the bolts black. Also, cut off your extra lengths on the bolts, or use shorter bolts, for safety reasons.

And your support bolts were installed horizontal to each other, they should be vertical. Add another bolt about 1/4 of the board length down, and in the center.

What about the other corner boards, were they set in concrete or just in dirt, or are they just sitting on top?

You could add some more 2x4 vertical support to the existing 2x4 at 90 degrees to what is there, screwed on. You could do some sway bracing, but they might get in the way of kids having fun (or whoever it is intended for). Or, where your small 2x4 support is, add 4x4 supports concreted in and running full length as possible bolted together to the 2x4

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Re-mdlr,

Posts: 990 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I had a similar swing set when my HS and College aged kids were younger. I had the same problem. I added some diagonals on the play structure and it fixed the problem. I didn't put concrete on the A-frame side.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 888 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        What do you mean diagonals exactly?

posted Hide Post
        On my children's swing set I used 18" rebar driven at a 45 degree angle from the outside to the inside adjacent to each post. Then used muffler clamps to secure the rebar to the post.

Although yours is wooden you could use the same application. Instead of muffler clamps use conduit clamps to affix the rebar to the wooden legs.

Since my children are now older I recently removed the set (bittersweet) and hauled it to a neighbors for his daughter to use. I hope that she enjoys it as much as mine did. But there is always a silver lining. I don't have to mow and trim around it now.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Applachain | Registered: Feb 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I placed a pressure treated 2x4 from the outside leg up to the point where the large timber that held the swings attached to the play structure.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 888 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post