All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Outdoor Projects    Repairing outdoor stucco
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Repairing outdoor stucco Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hello everyone!

My names Andy am i'm an englishman living in the USA. I have worked as a younger man for my fathers construction firm but have little experience of American building methods. I wonder if you can help me Smile

I have been removing some Ficus trees in my back yard to install an outdoor shower. Pulling out the roots took a little elbow grease but it wasn't too bad. What i did find however was that some of the roots had grown up the wall of the house and damaged the exterior wall.

After cleaning with a wire brush to remove any loose material, do i need to patch and add a finish coat or since the damage is very minimal and almost only cosmetic, can it be cleaned off and re-painted?

Also, since i am planning to add a simple outdoor shower, can i treat the wall to prevent any splashes from the shower damaging it? Or do i need to tile over the exterior surface?

Thanks for any advice,

Andy

Note: The electrical sticking up is being moved Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AndyBee,

Posts: 3 | Registered: May 14, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        AndyBee, welcome to the forum.

I can't answer the technical questions but just wanted to suggest that if there are still ficus roots in the area, you can try white vinegar on them to kill them.

I've used it for weeds, not on roots, but from various garden forums I've visited over the years I've learned that vinegar can be a solution.

It depends on how thick the roots are, though, and if the ficus grew up the wall, it's probabably a pretty well established and has thick roots.

If so, you could chop the roots to open them, then pour in the vinegar.

Posts: 1745 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        That sure looks like it's a layer of paint that has been peeled off. If so, then it's just a matter of painting again. A thick paint may cover the edges of the old stuff.

Your outdoor shower should not bother the painted stucco wall - just think of a rainstorm. Still, if the wall is protected by an overhanging soffit and gutters from above, it would not hurt to keep as much moisture off the wall as possible. so you can tile the area of the shower - in addition to protection it will help define the shower area.

Jaybee

Posts: 10140 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks for the welcome and the help guys, I really appreciate it.

Glad to hear it's looking like simply re painting. I wasn't sure about the water proofing as the house is in Palm Springs CA so doesn't normally get much in the way of rain.

Probably should have said that at the beginning sorry.

Thanks again for your help!

posted Hide Post
        Oh and good point about the tile defining the area of the shower Jaybee.

To be honest i'm going to try and hide the shower as much as possible, so not needing to add any tile is great news.

I figured it wasn't too badly damaged but its always great to get a second opinion!

Thanks again for your help.