All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Outdoor Projects    Rotten Wood on Shed
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Rotten Wood on Shed Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I have a shed that has some rotten wood on the bottom
        boards of the frame. Then siding and roof need to be replaced and all of the framing is good except for the very bottom piece. Is there a way to replace only the bottom board of the frame or do I need to tear it all down and start over?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        yes, if you can block up the shed. I had to jack mine up, put criss-cross supports under the four corners, replace both skid boards and all of the west wall one hot summer a few years ago. mine was fairly easy because it was made around treated five-side gable truss elements.

the principle is similar for any repairs at the bottom of framing... isolate the problem, gain access to the structure, stabilize the structure's full weight in the area, remove all the bad wood, replace with treated as appropriate with proper connection to all structure (meaning if it has ties into the foundation or sill like bolts, sanitize the area, place the new wood and mark where you have to drill for the bolts, bolt it down), and reconnect to existing structure. properly replace backerboard, weatherproof, exterior/interior dressage, remove temporary construction supports. celebrate.

inspections where required, and the permit folks at city hall will take your plans and tell you when to stop and call them. on a shed, may not be any. on any dwelling structure, darn sure will be.

in closing, may I add... NEVER, EVER TRUST A JACK. put up cribbing and beams as needed. put a few round pencils at places after this is built and trued up and if they move, something shifted. find out what, why, and fix it before it fixes you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5475 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Post some pictures so we can see what your seeing.
        Instead of just fixing it, it's time to figure out what's causing it.
        Most of the time it was just to close to the ground as mentioned.
        No over hangs on the roof, no gutters, no roof venting, no stone around the outer sides to reduce splash back.
        Often times it's possible to not have to remove all the siding to do the repairs, but without a picture or two it's hard to say.

joecaption

Posts: 17984 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Addressing only the contributing factors....is the roof rotted as well or does it need to be replaced for other reasons? Is there any ventilation in the area, or is it in an area where moisture can accumulate?

Your shed sounds like one at my sister's home, almost the same problems entirely. The roof rot was caused by poorly installed roof windows (that's not the correct term but I can't for the life of me think what they are properly called) that allowed moisture to penetrate every time it rained.

The shed was too close to the ground, there was no ventilation under the shed and little around it because it was tucked into a niche in back of the house. The prior owner ignored code and connected it improperly to the house. The downspouts emptied near the base of the shed. The soil was miserably hard clay and the only thing that grew was even more miserable thick noxious thistles that grew 3' high and formed a thick impenetrable thicket which prevented the area from every drying out.

So many factors combined to allow moisture to build up that the shed was doomed. If you have any of these on or around your shed, I think you'd have to address them as well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Posts: 1725 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Sky Light?

joecaption

Posts: 17984 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Joe, yes, that's what they were. Thanks for jogging my memory.

Tipres, where in the US are you located? Are you in an area of heavy snow? If so, and if the shed is close to the ground, it's an added source of moisture.

Also, is this a small storage shed or a very large one, and what do you store in it? Organic materials such as firewood, or is it a workshed with tools?

Posts: 1725 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post