All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Outdoor Projects    pergola built on block wall
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

pergola built on block wall Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hello. I built a u shaped block wall for a boat parking area. It is less then 3 feet high and has a 2 foot wide and 2 feet deep footing. It has re bar in footing and re bar hooked to wall and re bar in the wall tied to footing and all cells of blocks filled with concrete. I would like to build a simple pergola to the area. My question is can I put the posts on top of the above described wall? and if so what kind of hardware to attach posts to, would be strong . obviously I want a strong structure and if this is not recommended then I could build post footings on the outside of the wall in soil. This would be not as preferable because the structure would be not as clean looking. I can provide pis's if needed.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Mar 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        You have described what is basically a solid foundation wall - it could hold a house so there should be no problem using it as the foundation for your pergola.

Several options for attaching the posts - you could TapCon a solid pressure treated sill along the entire top of the block wall and attach your posts to that, or use any of the several different Simpson post anchoring systems available.

Jaybee

Posts: 10479 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Simpson Strong Tie makes a bracket to anchor the post to the wall. They are made to use "wedge bolts" to affix to the wall and then galvanized nails to the post.

Something similar to these. There are several made but this is the first one I found. A further search of the site might reveal more.

http://www.strongtie.com/produ...ors/ABA-ABU-ABW.asp#

http://www.strongtie.com/produ...edge-all/index.html#

This message has been edited. Last edited by: redoverfarm,

Posts: 1785 | Location: Applachain | Registered: Feb 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        that's good news. I was hoping that would be the case. Thanks for all replies, I really appreciate it.

posted Hide Post
        that's good news. I was hoping that would be the case. Thanks for all replies, I really appreciate it.

posted Hide Post
        I have a question on the posts. The length of the pergola will be 28'. Im thinking 5x5 posts. Is this right or is this overkill? And 4 posts on each side would put spacing at roughly 9 ft and 5 posts would be 7 ft. Any suggestions on this ?

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        I'd go with the 6x6 (actual 5-1/2" x 5-1/2"). Using 6x6 will give you the option of notching the tops to give a place to attach your headers while having them rest on a solid part of each post. You can also shape the 6x6 to make them more decorative. One way is to shave off about 1" of each corner, making them an uneven octagon.

Your span really depends on what size headers you are using. If you go with double 2x10, then 4 posts with the 9' spacing will work. If you only use double 2x8, then it would be better to use 5 posts and 7' spacing.

There are a lot of variables in this like your roof pitch and if you are in a heavy snow area.

Jaybee

Posts: 10479 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I think the first step would be to pick a design that you like. You can also take several different features and combine them into one.

https://www.google.com/search?...=877&bih=518&dpr=0.9

Posts: 910 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Sounds good. I live in san diego where if we get 10 inches of rain then we feel we were in a major winter.