DIY Message Boards
why replace paver sand

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9321916776/m/1813977267

Sep 06, 2012, 09:03 AM
RDH
why replace paver sand
Between heavy rains & ridding pavers of black mold/algae a lot of the sand has washed away. Couple of questions: 1) since they were layed well (about 3 yrs ago)and with very small gaps plus the outside ones are concreted down why should I replace the sand? 2) if replacing and power washing first any trick (besides being careful Smile)to keeping blown sand out of the pool? 3) if using polymeric sand do I REALLY need to remove ALL of the old sand as I've read? (sounds difficult to ensure)4) If wife still wants to seal can I seal over polymeric sand?
Sep 06, 2012, 09:22 PM
Nestor
RDH:

I'm no expert on paving stones, but I'll answer your questions according to my understanding. Hopefully others will chime in with their views.

1. You don't need to "replace" the sand, but it's a good idea to brush sand on your pavers periodically to keep the joints between them full of sand. That's cuz the rain and snow melt (if you get snow) and your power washer will gradually wash the sand out from between the paving stones. People think that one application of sand will last a real long time, but it doesn't. Give it a few years and gravity eventually wins and the sand falls out of the joints between the pavers onto the base below. That;'s why you need to maintain the paving stones by re-applying sand periodically, but I've never heard of actually replacing the sand. I don't even think it's possible to do that without taking all the pavers out and resetting them.

2. Where I live, people drain their pools in autumn and refill them in late spring or early summer. Why not brush the new sand over your pavers before filling the pool. That way you can remove any sand that does get in there easily with a push broom and vaccuum cleaner. Otherwise, besides being careful, wait for a calm day to apply new sand. Don't do it on a windy day.

3. If you want to switch to polymeric sand, just start using it instead of regular sand. If you just apply polyeric sand every sping, then as the regular sand gets washed out from between your pavers, it'll be replaced by polymeric sand.

4. From what I understand, it's moisture in the form of spray from a garden hose that causes the polymeric sand to cure, and once cured it supposedly becomes resistant to moisture. I don't understand that at all. But, I think as long as you mist your patio paving stones after applying the polymeric sand, it should cure, and then once the paving stones are sufficiently dry, I don't see why you couldn't apply a sealer to your pavers.

But, I kinda doubt that polymeric sand is gonna last all that long either, and you're still gonna need to apply new sand (polymeric or otherwise) periodically to your pavers to maintain the patio.

Also, what little I know about paving with paving stones comes from a guy who was trying to talk me into replacing the 60 year old asphalt in my parking lot with paving stones instead of new ashpalt. It would be best to confirm everything I've said (especially about sealing the pavers) with a company that does paving with paving stones in your area. I had my parking lot repaved with asphalt, so everything I know is just what I learned about it from this contractor over a 3 or 4 month period, and not from personal experience.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nestor,
Sep 08, 2012, 09:36 AM
RDH
Thanks Nestor for your reply. When I used the word "replace" I meant replacing what has washed away and not removing any exsisting sand. Guess what I'm really asking is what harm if any will be done if I don't reapply the missing sand? While I think it looks better, is there an actual benifit? would the pavers be more proned to cracking without sand between them?
I'm in FL and not planning on draining the pool and just have a feeling I'll create a mess with sand in the pool either by the power washing or by the reapplying of sand Frown.
Oct 03, 2012, 01:13 AM
zalez
You really should replace the sand as it is one of the maintnnce that pavers require. What this does is it reinforces tha pavers and locks them into place, plus it helps the water stay above the pavers. Imagine if all your pavers didnt have sand between the cracks. Water will find its way underneath the paver quicker and cause the leveling sand to shift causing dominoe effect through out the whole patio. Maybe not today but in time!!!

fence and decks houston
Jun 09, 2013, 06:34 PM
PearlJam
ConfusedSo what is the best way to apply the sand? Mine is around a pool