All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Outdoor Projects    Deck material used by Bryan
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Deck material used by Bryan Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hi,

I saw a show a few months ago. It might have been part of the Leave it to Bryan series, except he was working on his house in the mountains. On the show I saw, he was working on his deck. He explained that he was using a new product that had the durability of Trex, did not require yearly maintenance, but was real wood and not made from plastic. Does anyone know the name of that material?

Thanks for the help.

Robb

Posts: 3 | Registered: Dec 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        It could have been this product. There should be some information available on the episode if you knew where to look.

http://www.metsawood.us/produc...orestThermowood.aspx

Posts: 1790 | Location: Applachain | Registered: Feb 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks for the link. I don't think that is the product as it doesn't say that it does not need continuing treatment over time.

In terms of finding information on the episode, unfortunately, I don't know where to look. That is why I am asking here. If you know where I can find information on the episode I would be happy to check.

Robb

posted Hide Post
        Robb I am not sure either. There are some on the forum that have advised on this in the past. Maybe they will chime in on the subject. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Posts: 1790 | Location: Applachain | Registered: Feb 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Try looking around this site:

http://www.hgtv.ca/leaveittobryan/episodes/

I didn't see a resource guide on the website though. It is a Canadian production so going to the Canadian site might be more productive.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 900 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        from here

http://baeumler.ca/media/suppliers/

go here

http://www.perennialwood.com/Pages/Home.aspx

and check it out.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5867 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks so much, swschrad, and all who answered. I think that is it. I tried to watch the video as I can now see it is the House of Bryan show, 2nd season, and the episode called Hit the Deck. But when I try to watch it says something about wrong region. I guess there is a restriction of some kind.

Again, thank you.

Robb

posted Hide Post
        The Canadian networks block access from the states because they run the shows on US networks. To see his videos you need to watch then on HGTV.com or DIYNetwork.com in the USA.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 900 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I wouldn't waste my time with those so called products. We are just now seeing all over the internet about composite decking, law suit after law suit...
        If your going the extra cost just buy something that has been proven over and over.
        https://www.google.com/search?...517&dpr=0.9#imgdii=_

Posts: 921 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Bryan's product was a treated wood, but not your typical PT wood product. It was on his House of Bryan Lakeside project.

General Disclaimer

Picture of bootx
        posted Hide Post

Posts: 2 | Location: Maroc | Registered: Feb 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        WOW!....
        I don't know about anybody else but I can't read or speak Arabic.?

Posts: 921 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        simple Arabic language course--- no matter what you say, it translates to English " kill all Americans"
        or, when we have "Jihad" we go to paradise with 13 virgins... (what they don't realize is that all the virgins are *** men )

Posts: 2593 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        uh, Nona, I wouldn't have gone there. the bad guys are considerably less than 1%. considerably.

as far as treated decking goes, I will continue to expect that wood products outdoors require regular maintenance over their lifetime (or you get a third or less of that) but a good initial treatment extends that considerably. the best possible product would be ipay mahogonay, and that gets its maximum lifetime while it is still part of the living tree Wink same as cat fur, it only looks good and holds up while it's on a purring cat.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5867 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        The product is called Perennial wood decking. Find more info at Perennialwood.com

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Per the Perennial Wood company's web site, the product used by Bryan for his island retreat is no longer being sold by them. Apparently the Emerson Chemical Company CEO didn't want to be in the building products business so they discontinued the line. It is currently being marketed by Accoya Wood.

Check out Accoya Wood (www.accoya.com)

Cheers.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: go2goal,

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post