All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Outdoor Projects    Snow melting system under concrete walkway
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Snow melting system under concrete walkway Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I am trying to find someone who has successfully installed a snow melting system under a concrete walkway. We are redoing our front step & walkway and adding on a small patio using colored/stamped concrete. Total sq ft is around 300. Would an electric snow melting "mat" be really expensive to run? We live in MN... Could I just put the mat under the walkway and step and not the patio? Or would I end up with ice on the patio...

Thanks!

Posts: 1 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: May 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Several options available. Just have to decide which is right for your application.

http://www.google.com/search?s...for+concrete+walkway

Just remember that by only doing a portion will allow some to melt and run to another area and then freeze.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Applachain | Registered: Feb 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        where will the water go on the walkway? if there is no outlet, it will melt, skim ice, and eventually be a mat of ice and water that grows all winter.

if you are melting the walk, there will have to be a drain.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5510 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        i have installed snow melt under driveways, side walks, and patios. also installed it under a escalator in aspen
        [only one in north america]
        but,, my expertise is limited to hydronic snow melt not electrical. when melted, the water sheds off the concrete
        like rain water does, because the concrete is sloped to drain it away. ice on the grass.

your answer depends on weather or not ice/snow accumulates on the patio or not. if it does. then you will have ice. slope walk ways away from building and patio. slope patio also
        you can, install mat in just the "traffic" area of the patio. as long as power is on it will not slick over. but when you turn it off.

in my humble opinion. elec snow melt is to expensive to run. i would not do it. hydronic
        run tubing under the walk and patio, install a water heater, with a circ pump.>closed system, with 10% glycol. pipe heater in the top. out the bottom.regulate with aqua state, turn w/h stat up. po-boy snow melt

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post