All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  General Home Improvement    Pullup bar / stud problem
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Pullup bar / stud problem Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I have been having problems with putting up a pull up bar. I first put it up in the ceiling of my garage but it slipped off. I figured I missed the stud or made the holes too big for the screws. So I tried a wall, triple checked to make sure I found a stud, and was careful on not making the hole too big. Still, one side of the pull up bar was pulled out of the wall when I tried it out and along with it some insulation. Why is the pull up bar not sticking and why can't i find a hit a stud. The other side of bar us currently secure.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Nov 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        First, a little terminology: Walls have studs for framing, ceilings have joists.

Wall framing is almost always set 16" on center. Each stud is 1-1/2" wide. So you have a 1-1/2" target to hit and it will repeat every 16". It's pretty obvious when you have or have not found a stud with your mounting screws. If the screws continue to turn then you have missed the stud.

One reason you may be having a problem is that if you get a screw right alongside the stud, it will feel like it's in solid wood - however, once you start pulling on it with your chin-up bar it will rip the fairly weak bond free. You can use a stud finder or just tap in some small holes with a finishing nail to locate exactly where the studs are - this way you can make sure that you are attaching directly in the middle of the 1-1/2" area.

The other thing that goes on is that when you load down on your pull-up bar it will crush the drywall underneath. This puts more of a load on the screws and can cause them to bend and then break or pull out. the best thing to do to avoid this is to install a wooden ledger on the wall first, then mount your pull-up bar to it. You can use a 2x6 or a piece of 3/4" plywood. Mount the wood on the wall, secure it to two (or more) studs with screws. Then, install your pull-up bar on this strong and wide wood piece.

Ceiling attachments are similar although ceiling spacing can vary from 16" OC to 19-3/16" OC to 24" OC. Here too, use a stud finder or nail probe to locate the exact location of the joists and where the edges of the joists are.

Keep in mind that even though these spaces are supposed to be standard, not all houses are constructed as well as they should. You should always check the exact location of each stud you are anchoring to.

Jaybee

Posts: 10343 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I used a stud finder and checked multiple times that there was a stud. Each time it read there was a stud there but when the screws were ripped out there was nothing but insulation.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Nov 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Your standard $10 stud finder is only accurate about half the time. You need to make several passes after starting the stud finder at a different location to get accurate results. That's one good reason to use a small nail to accurately find the edges of any studs you want to attach to.

The more I've thought about this the more convinced I am that your best bet is to add a wider wood base to the wall first and attach your pull-up bar to it. This way, you can make this board however long you want to attach to as many studs as you need to make it strong. Also, by having a solid board to attach the pull-up bar to, it doesn't matter if the ends of the bar are directly on top of the studs.

Jaybee

Posts: 10343 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post