DIY Message Boards
Ceiling texture or Crown first?

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9221916776/m/9713908577

Dec 08, 2013, 09:05 PM
FlippinFritch
Ceiling texture or Crown first?
I'm remodling a house but I did everything backwards. I have the floors in, walls painted, popcorn ceiling scraped and the wainscoting done. But now I'm not sure if I should do the ceiling texture or the crown in next. What do you suggest? I'm aware I should have started from the top down, ok, I'm a noob. But now I ask for help. HELP!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FlippinFritch,

Dec 08, 2013, 09:12 PM
jdr
Texture first, then crown. But seriously consider smoothing the ceiling and skipping the texture.
Dec 08, 2013, 09:22 PM
FlippinFritch
quote:
Originally posted by jdr:
Texture first, then crown. But seriously consider smoothing the ceiling and skipping the texture.

I'm about to post some pitures and I like your idea so please follow this thread.
Dec 09, 2013, 08:37 AM
Sparky617
Second for forgetting the texture. Smooth ceilings are much nicer.

You took the time to get rid of the popcorn, why replace it with another texture?

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Dec 09, 2013, 03:08 PM
redoverfarm
If you go against the grain of your replies might I suggest that you install the crown first then texture. Crown requires a flat surface to be installed correctly. If you have high and low areas that will be seen in the ceiling as it joins the crown. I would tape the edge of the crown before texturing as not to mess up the finish. Another approach would be to tape the approiximate location of the crown to the ceiling and run tape in that area and only texture to that point.
Dec 09, 2013, 10:12 PM
tstex
As long as the floating/ceiling finish is not too exaggerated, can do the ceiling, then the crown. If there are no major delta's, you can caulk them [assuming ceiling/crown is white] and white the crown with a slightly wet towel to remove any access.
Dec 09, 2013, 10:30 PM
Jaybee
Texture first, then crown. The crown can push into the fairly fresh texture. However, if you install the crown first, you will have a brush line where you have to work the texture into the crown.

But really - For the love of God, don't put the texture back!!!! Texture just screams '70's and looks like....texture. Why do this to a ceiling that you have scraped smooth? Especially now that you have finished so much else. If you put on the popcorn texture, you will need to cover everything - floors, walls, Christmas tree - everything. Whatever is not covered will need to be cleaned up quickly to remove the splattered texture.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jaybee,

Jaybee
Dec 12, 2013, 10:49 PM
FlippinFritch
Thanks for all your comments, with Christmas here it's been busy with programs and shopping but I asked for some help and you can through, no texure, smoothing and the crown first, sorry don't think I'll be able to do the smoothing and crown the same day. I'll try to minimize the paint lines. Whos looking that close anyways....Thanks again and Happy Holidays!!
Dec 12, 2013, 11:28 PM
FlippinFritch
You definately had the best reply. You are the reason I'm going smooth instead of texure. Thanks!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jaybee:h
But really - For the love of God, don't put the texture back!!!! Texture just screams '70's and looks like....texture.

Texture first, then crown. The crown can push into the fairly fresh texture. However, if you install the crown first, you will have a brush line where you have to work the texture into the crown.

QUOTE]