Message Boards

Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

spam Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Clearly tahususor, krisnir, and kewinvilson are the same person and this person does not speak English, but what is the point of the posts?

Posts: 994 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Sep 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        In some cases, spammers get paid for each hit on their posted link. The amount of money is very, very small - taking many hundreds of hits to earn them a cent or two. But, with the power of the internet all it takes is a few million hits and they actually can make some money.

It's those huge numbers that make it all work. Sure, most of us here are not used to the spammers and rarely even click on their posts, much less open their links, but there will always be somebody new who hasn't seen the spam before and opens it without realizing what it is.

That, plus much of it is totally automated - meaning that the spammers is spending zero amounts of time in his efforts to earn a few pennies.

Jaybee

Posts: 10066 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        JDR, I don't think these people really provide services, but as Jaybee states are just trying to get page hits to earn money here and there.

To me, they obviously have little motivation for legitimate work.

The other possibility is that their purpose is more malevolent, and that the links will open to a site contaminated by spyware or viruses which will download to your computer if it's not protected and updated regularly with a high quality Internet security suite of software.

There have been a few occasions on which I was exploring different sites when a Norton pop-up alerted that a site was insecure and/or contaminated, with the recommendation not to proceed any further. It wouldn't surprise me if these spammers' sites produced such a warning.

In addition to the software protection, you can configure your Internet settings to prevent file downloads, as added protection. I've done this for years.

I often wonder if some of these hack spammers are trying to backdoor their way into someone's personal information for identity theft, and fortunately aren't sophisticated or intelligent enough to do it any other way than spamming to lure people to their sites, like spiders trying to lure their prey into their webs.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Posts: 1722 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post